Friday, June 23, 2023

Day 39: Tongue-Tied

Today was supposed to be recovery and unpacking. Got half of that done.

Last night was exhausting with Ida somehow, although she slept for some 5 hours on Jen, so that should have been restful. This morning, I took Ida and rocked her in the chair and we slept for hours. Every once in a while one of us would wake up, look around, then fall back asleep.

note the towel under my head. I'm leaving red stains everywhere I go.

 Jen took Sabrina to an urgent care appointment for her (returned with a vengeance) ear infection, and had to run from that to our appointment for Ida.

Ida had her tongue tie released today. This is a fairly modern procedure that is supposed to help with latching and nursing. I'm skeptical about its effectiveness and overdiagnosis, so watch this space for a post-surgery opinion. As of right now, Jen has had painful nursing with all 3 previous kids, so that was a deciding factor in this.

So, the doctor did a small laser cut below Ida's tongue, and another one behind her upper lip. Ida hardly fussed. She slept in the car through a stop for some yummy Teriyaki (to-go, eaten in the car), and an awful trafficky drive home.

She's been weird and a bit fussy the rest of the day. Not terrible, but definitely seeing the whole range of emotions. I spent a lot of the day cradling, feeding, rocking, and sleeping with Ida. As such, I don't have a lot to report. I did get out of the house once for a quick library run with Edgar and Sabrina.

We had to do some fairly awful manual stretching of baby's tongue and lip that we'll need to continue for the next 6 weeks. Now I'm rocking Ida in our new foot-rocker. I used to have one of these with the older kids that I used extensively. I think we donated it.

 

I'd say I hope to get more done tomorrow, but we have plans for tomorrow. Oh well.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment