Saturday, June 10, 2023

Day 26: Making a Splash

It was a tough day. I don't have a lot to say about my emotional state, but it's not great.

Today dawned clear and sunny. A beautiful Saturday, filled with possibility. I immediately started thinking of adventures to take the family on.

I was met with tepid enthusiasm. There were a lot of legitimate reasons for that, but it made me sad. I feel like I need to mourn for the family that used to go on adventures and be spontaneous.

Anyways, after a long time in preparation, Jen, Ida, Betty and I set off to Peninsula Park in Portland to see what it had to offer us. (This was a cut-down portion of the very elaborate plans I had proposed for the day)

Peninsula park was beautiful. It is one of two large rose gardens in Portland, but we've never been to this one. (not THAT Rose Garden. Not that one either.)

It smelled lovely, too.

 

It was magical. and it was the right time of year to go. 

 After getting our fill of roses, we let Betty run around the playground and splash pad. Betty is not very indepenent, and it's a struggle getting her to get outside her comfort zone. Nevertheless, some fun was had, even though she insisted midway through that all I ever take her to is "boring places."

A pensive moment on the tire swing.

Bliss on the splash pad. Glad we had her wear her swimsuit.
 
We got a lot of oohs and aahs over Ida. I feel like a celebrity walking around with such a small baby. Our others were substantially bigger, and (if I remember correctly) got less attention.
 
Then, home to get a brief moment of respite before picking up groceries and pizza.
 
  
Pictured: a brief moment of respite.
 
 
 Our movie night movie was "The Postman Always Rings Twice" from 1946. It was long, boring, and confusing. Sabrina put it best-- "I was expecting the postman thing to be some sort of a murder clue, but instead it was just part of some crazy guy's confession at the end of the movie." I was expecting a murder mystery, but there was no mystery. Just stilted actors staring at each other and being dumb.

Here's a snuggly Betty and Ida from sometime today.

Hope I'm in a better emotional state tomorrow. Here's to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment