Thursday, June 1, 2023

Day 17: Rainbow Family

 After that concert, Ida slept like a rock, so Jen and I did too!

 I got up for a (side-hustle) work meeting. The terms of this job have always been a bit (uncertain?) flexible, but I learned today that

    a) tomorrow is my last day on this project

    b) because of Memorial Day and a combination of other factors, I'm behind on this project and needed to work 5 hours today on it.

5 hours seems like a tall order with everything else that's going on.

I managed to do it, though. I also got groceries this morning, and this afternoon, Jen and I picked up my orange car from the shop. The carburetors are now berating the car properly. It's nice to have a car where, when you push on the gas pedal, it goes faster instead of choking and dying.


Plus, my hair matches the car now!


I took Betty to swim lessons in the orange car, then came home exhausted and Jen kept everything going enough to give me a substantial nap. Thanks, Jen.

This evening, Jen got some books for the family for Pride month.  I'm of two minds about this--  I'd much rather read stories (and have my kids reading stories) about hobbits or unicorns than teenagers and their sexuality. On the other hand, these things are important to other members of my family, so I can support that. Plus, books in general are awesome.


The real reason I shared this picture is because it's the only one where you can see all the FABULOUS HAIR going on in our house right now:

That's a rainbow.

I worked more tonight, so nothing really interesting happened around the house. I DID get a new shipment of records. I've discovered bargain bin shopping on discogs.com, so this was my random assortment of cheap records. I paid less than $5 for all of these. Most were $2 apiece:


The Promise Ring - Falsetto Keeps Time 7"

    (a stone-cold classic. I've never bought the 7" because I have the songs on CD, but my collection needed this)

Lipps, Inc - Funkytown 45

    (say no more)

Allied Records Emergency Broadcast Systems #4 7"

    (fourth in a series of 4 comp 7"s from the 90s. 4 punk bands. I have another one of these as well. This one has a track by the band Mary Me [more on that later])

Mary Me / Hand to Mouth Split 7"

    (Another two songs from the elusive Braid side-project Mary Me. They've only got a handful of songs out there, and I'm on a quest to find them. The other side of this record is some political punk. In the liner notes, Mary Me talks about how much they love Taco Bell, and Hand To Mouth talks about how Taco Bell supports deforestation and oppression in Myanmar. Love it.)

Peter Cetera - The Glory of Love 45

    (The song from Karate Kid II. Maybe the best power ballad of the 80s)

Roxette - The Look 45

    (I love Roxette. Ironically and unironically)

Sugar - Beaster CD-EP

    (I was aware of Sugar [Bob Mould's post-Husker Du band] back in the 90s, but I never got a listen. Now that I have, I know this is solid great 90s alternative)

Tom Jones and the Cardigans - Burning Down the House CD-EP

    (This one made my top 5 last year. Do I need to own this on CD? Probably not, but the B-sides are Tom Jones doing EMF's Unbelievable and Come Together. Sounds too fun to pass up.)

The Cure - Close to Me Remix CD-EP

    (some leftovers from Mixed Up, but after seeing the cure last night, this is the one I most want to hear)


Was that excessive to post my music shopping list? Maybe. Being up late does strange things to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment