Thursday, June 8, 2023

Day 24: Delegation

 The nights aren't getting any easier yet. It's still about 2 hours between feedings. Sometimes a bit more. Sometimes (unfortunately) less. Ida doesn't always take to falling asleep in her bassinet, and it seems just as I'm falling asleep, her coos turn into cries.


...but the DAYS are getting easier. Now, I had pictured that somehow the dishes, laundry and tidying would be getting done by diligent kids. Unfortunately, that isn't happening. What IS happening is that the kids are volunteering to take Ida whilst Jen and I do dishes, tidy, and do laundry. Not the most ideal situation, but better than nothing. And these kids are getting to be experts at baby care. Feeding, changing, snuggling, calming. They're great. Here's Betty this morning before school:


And Edgar after school:

Some of the "It's getting better" today also stems from Betty and Sabrina going back to school instead of being home sick.


After finally catching up on sleep by about noon, this afternoon I was able to slip in 3 hours of work towards my Nobody-Else-at-Work-Can-Do-This-Project 6 hour project. I'd be more annoyed by it, but it gets me 6 extra hours towards days off sometime later this year.

I even got some time in my hammock this afternoon. I was fully mosquito-repellented up, but I swear-- this year, with its long, rainy winter and late spring, the mosquitos are plentiful and biting through multiple layers of clothes.

I finished my book in the hammock, then Jen brought Ida out to me to snuggle for a few minutes. Didn't take long, however, for Betty to want to take her away. I don't mind. I love the help.

The story of this evening is much of the same. Ida was passed between hands as the business of the household went forward. We had root beer floats after a dinner of leftovers. Jen and I started a WWI documentary in bed, getting Ida ready for another night of sporadic feedings.


No comments:

Post a Comment