Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Day 22: Baby Blues

 Gonna talk about something I don't think I've really addressed here:

Postpartum Depression in Dads is real, folks. 

I've suffered a touch of PPD with each of the kids, and this is no exception. I seem to have it bad today. I've been exhausted over the last few days, and it's increasingly harder to motivate myself to do the little things. 

It only gets harder after several midnight feedings, after putting baby down to sleep for what seems like the TWELFTH time, and just as you fall asleep, she screams and wakes up again.

It only gets harder when she just fed, and she's not due to eat again for several more hours and you've done all the things, and you now just need to let her cry at you for an hour.

Pictured: the face of PPD. Also a girl who has yelled for an hour straight.

I don't have any words of wisdom for others dealing with postpartum depression, but I know that I can power through it and make it out on the other side (if I survived 10 months of Edgar crying non-stop, I can survive this too.)

And there will be lots of good days. I just need to acknowledge that today wasn't one of them. Jen (lovingly) let me sleep in, but then I woke up grumpy and grumped at Edgar, who thought I was being angry or threatening or something. I didn't accomplish much today, but I slept a lot. Luckily, Jen is recovering from her C-section and is able to pick up the slack where I'm stumbling.

We had a friend Mo visit this morning. Mo is a talker, so her short visit went quite long, but not TOO long, if you catch my drift.

IdaMo 
 
 
 Awesome mom.
 

Hello.
 


Jen took the kidlets outside. A lovely late-spring day.

 
 

 A rare picture of the 14-year-old in their natural habitat.

Jen says: "Is she covering her ears because of the Nirvana record you were listening to, or because of the 20th-straight episode of Peg+Cat playing in the next room?"

 Sabrina had an orchestra concert this evening. She played wonderfully. She introduced one of the songs, and she was awarded the 1,000 hours award. Sabrina was a bit put out that, despite being only one of 4 6th graders to do 1,000 hours of practice, she got 4th place in hours practiced (in the month of May). I say not too shabby.

Sabrina's the cellist with blue/purple hair.

As Jen got the kids to bed, etc, I got yelled at by Ida (as I mentioned earlier).

Well, here's to mental health. Let's hope tomorrow goes OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment