Sunday, October 23, 2016

Day 42: An Ending / Midnight Blue

Sabrina gave Jen this note this afternoon. Note the detail on everyone, including the color of clothes (and hair!) we had today:
(left to right, that's Jen, Sabrina, (little) Edgar, me (with blue hair) and underneath, Betty (with black hair)

Text:
mom THAC YOU
FOR MAKETH
UR FAMULI
PRFEKD

Translation:

Mom, Thank you for making our family perfect.


In other words, Sabrina thinks our family is now PERFECT with the addition of baby Betty. I tend to agree.


yeah, she's cute

I just love the expressions on her face.

We have about 500 more of these pictures that I'm not sharing.
Okay, so now that I've mentioned that our family is perfect, here's our day:

Jen woke me out of a very deep dream at 6 AM to hold baby while she got ready. Betty was being fussy, and would drop off to sleep for 5 minutes (as would I) only to wake up, squirm, cry, fart (!) and go back to sleep. Must have been painful gas, but it kept me from ever truly waking up or ever truly getting any rest.

So I was sleepy and grumpy, and was not in a good mood by the time we got to church. Church was another one of those exhausting practices. Our primary program is next week, and it's the thing we've been working on all year, so all the adults are really high strung. The kids are great, but they tend to reflect what the grown-ups pour into the mix, so it was a tough day. I can't wait for it all to be over.

After church, I got to relax on my last day before returning to work. I got to sit in the living room and listen to records and read my book.

Jen cooked dinner, which was delicious, but the kids hated it. Typical.

After dinner, it was time to dye my hair black. I bought the blackest dye available at the grocery store. I was going for "none more black". So, the package said "Midnight Blue". It was obviously hyperbole, as all the pictures on the box were of black black hair.

As long as we were doing it,  Jen put a few streaks in Sabrina's hair.
1, 2, 3, sass!

 
only flattering pics, plz.
Sabrina grabbed my phone and took a video. She does this all the time. She's grown up in the 21st century, and thinks everybody is on youtube. She's a natural, if I kinda hate the "talking to youtube selfie" format videos... It's still silly and cute:


We watched some Harry Potter and let the dye set. Sabrina had never seen Harry Potter before (I can't remember if she was too scared or preoccupied last time), so it was Harry Potter night for the family. We got through about half of it, and then it was time for the kids to go to bed and to shower and look at our creation.

I was hoping that my hair would come out black enough to pass as natural at work. I was actually hoping for unnaturally black black, as that would be a pretty fun and subtle contrast to my dark brown natural color. Even a later check of some online product reviews says that the hair dye is basically dark black.

blue?
So, it turned out less black, and more... blue.
again.

Okay, so the selfie camera on my phone gives everything a yellowish cast and makes my hair look REALLY blue. Let's try some different lighting:


Well, hmm... That;s still bluish, but might almost pass.

Let's see if this will fly for a week at work.

Remember a few weeks ago when I said I didn't dye my hair Katy Perry blue? now I did. On accident. (pro tip: never google "hair accident." eww.)




So, again, my story with the blog.

It's been forty two days.

What a wonderful forty two days it has been. I surely appreciated the time getting closer to my family, being helpful to my sweetheart, being a strong father to my olders, and snuggling this baby. This last six weeks has been THE BEST.

I return to work tomorrow. I don't plan to blog tomorrow night. I will be working for five days. Starting Saturday, I plan to pick up the blog for a bonus 9 days. Next week, my friend David Shelley will be flying in for a few days, and I finagled my baby leave so that we can have some adventure time (with or without the rest of my awesome family). I will keep track of that, since it's being covered by FMLA as well.

I sure love my family. I sure love the time I get to spend with these kiddos.I'm grateful for all the wonderful blessings and comforts we have in our life. I know lots of folks have it a lot harder than us. My life is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment