Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Day 37: A Reset

Not a lot to report today, although I feel like today I've had my system reset, or had all the sand shaken out of my etch-a-sketch, and I'm ready to go again.


Last night at the space was fun. I got to watch my friends' band, Years for Months play for the very first time. I've heard most of their songs before-- my friend Mick wrote them and played them acoustic at our campfire show this summer. This band has him playing mostly lead baritone guitar with someone else doing vocals.

here's a picture with Mick on vocals, though.

Anyway, it was great to hear those songs live and great to hang out at The Space again. Jen still hasn't been there. I keep trying to talk her into going in my place to one of these shows, but she reminds me that I can't nurse baby. Also, we tried taking baby Edgar to the old Space ages and ages ago, and got kicked out-- apparently 21-and-over bears no exceptions.

Came home and all three kids were asleep and Jen was awake, so I hung out with Jen, listening to some old Afghan Whigs and enjoying each others' company.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a good night's sleep-- my swollen tonsils (which have only been a minor irritation most of the time) were making it very hard for me to breathe and sleep. At 7 when the alarm went off, I begged Jen to take my place getting the kids awake. She did all my morning chores and got the kids off to school, while I snuggled and slept with Betty. THANKS JEN. YOU ROCK.

We snuggled in front of some Murder, She Wrote, and then got ourselves out of the house and ran some errands at the store. Spent a lot of time fighting Pokemon Go (or Pokemon Reset as we were calling it today). Spent more time resetting our cell phones than we did actually playing.

We stopped by Sabrina's school to give her a dose of medicine. Apparently, first lunch (Sabrina's lunch) has been misbehaving (perish the thought of kids TALKING at lunch. Apparently, the rule is-- once you are done with food, you must put your head down and not talk. What is this, prison?) ... So anyway, the lunch is separated by tables by classroom and whether the kids have cold lunch or hot lunch.

I made a snide remark to the secretary about how they're separating the poor kids from the rich kids in the lunchroom. I maybe wasn't aware of it in kindergarten, but I was certainly aware of social status (and its connection to hot vs cold lunch) later in Elementary school.

This adds another to my list of complaints about how our kids' school lunch is unfair and bad. I really want to take the principal out to lunch, and eat fast and put my head down once I'm done and not talk. Also maybe I want to leave after 20 minutes because the kids ONLY get 20 minutes for lunch and get hassled if they're not done in that time... Okay, this is apparently a sensitive subject for me.

Got some Arti Parm Big Town Hero sandwiches, and watched some more Skinwalker Mysteries on Netflix, and then Jen let me nap with Betty again.

Took Edgar to soccer practice. After Edgar's last practice, he and I had a little talk-- he was disappointed that I spent his whole practice staring at my cellphone and not watching him. I told him I didn't expect him to want me to watch his practices-- I never wanted my parents to watch mine. He said he really wanted me to watch him and was disappointed when I didn't. This was a different way of thinking than I had. So, this time, I watched Edgar practice for an hour. He did really good and tried his best. He really is getting better at soccer each week, which is really all I can ask of him.

After soccer practice, Edgar and I holed up downstairs to play some Pokemon Colosseum. We did that until Jen put the kids to bed while I held Betty. Jen and I had nachos and some more Skinwalker Mysteries, and then because Jen worked so very hard today, I took fussy Betty and let Jen go to sleep, while I played more Pokemon Colosseum with a baby yelling at me.

So, today was unusual. I hardly spent any time with Sabrina. I spent a lot of time with Betty yelling at me. Jen did a lot of hard work, but I feel like today was EXACTLY what I needed to continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment