Friday, October 7, 2016

Day 26: Blacktop Betty




Last night with Sabrina was okay. We had a few rough times of her waking up crying, and refusing to drink water/ take pills, but she also woke me up on her own in a rather chipper mood (for 2 AM) and asked for her next dose, so all told, it worked okay.


Edgar and I got up and did chores and got him ready for school. Today was Jogathon, so I walked with him to school, and waited about 20 minutes for his class to be ready to jog. The weather was rainy and cold, but the kids didn't seem to mind. The only miserable ones were the two kids whose parents had made them wear plastic garbage bags over their clothes. I was once that kid. I can remember how miserable and humiliating that is. So, if Edgar wanted to wear a T-shirt and shorts today, okay. He did not want to pack a change of clothes, but I packed one for him and brought it along, but Edgar was right. He didn't need them.

Edgar ran/walked and stopped at the water station nearly every lap, but he managed a very respectable 12 laps. Since I didn't put a maximum on Edgar's donation, and I did with Sabrina, Edgar earned $48 for the school, and Sabrina earned $40. Just enough to get both of them t-shirts, which is apparently the important thing. I don't know, I'm just the dad here.

I somehow didn't manage to get any good non-blurry Jog-a-thon pictures. I'm sorry.

I came home feeling sick again. Apparently, I've come down with a super ironic case of tonsilitis. I get swollen tonsils ALL THE TIME. About a year ago, I asked my doctor if he'd recommend taking my tonsils out-- he said, "not unless you get tonsilitis 10 or more times in a year". YIKES. I get it 3 or 4 times a year sure, but 10? I sort of envy Sabrina who will never get tonsilitis again.

...in fact, I mentioned it to her that she would never get tonsilitis again, and she looked at me with a pained expression and said, "getting your tonsils out is a lot harder than you think."

Sabrina is recovering, although she is (as predicted) in more pain today than yesterday. She's been steadily guzzling chocolate milk, though, so I think she's sufficiently hydrated. 

I was in and out of sleep most of today-- Jen, Sabrina, and Betty mostly left me alone, which was a really good thing. I was not okay and needed to rest and recover.

Apparently sometime today (I kinda remember hearing this but I was mostly asleep), Sabrina had been watching Blue's Clues, and decided to make a treasure hunt of her own. She drew blue paw prints and stuck them around the house, then led Mom around to find them, and then had her sit in her "thinking chair" to see what Sabrina wanted to do. Turns out Sabrina wanted to have a picnic with mom. This girl is bored from sitting home all day. Can't wait until she's well enough to go back to school

buh boo!

I took a bath and slept some more, Jen helped me get my records and CDs ready for my radio show, and I went and did that. I had Eric Lovre and a few members of his band on as guests, and that was super fun.

After my radio show, I ran to the store to pick up a few things that Sabrina's been eating us out of-- chocolate milk and strawberry ice cream.

Then, home for pot pies for dinner. After dinner, I went out to The Space. and pretended like I was a grownup. Chuck Westmoreland opened the show-- I don't know anything about him, but he sounded like a really good combination of Richard Buckner and Richard Thompson. I'll have to hear his recordings.

The Eric Lovre Band was fantastic, as usual. They played a bunch of newish stuff, including two songs with titles I happened to love: The Bettie Pages, and Blacktop Betty. Stan McMahon capped off the show. I had a yummy vegan burger and chips from the Space's new menu.

The Eric Lovre Band

 After the show, I galavanted around town conquering pokemon gyms. Actually, since the software is so glitchy, I spent about 1 1/2 hours reloading and reloading the software while reading my book, and only spent about 1/2 hour actually playing the game.

I came home to a sobbing Sabrina-- time to give her some meds and send her back to bed.

Betty loves you:



No comments:

Post a Comment