Thursday, October 13, 2016

Day 32: Kid Writing II

Today was another short day where not much got done. I was up several times in the night with Sabrina, cajoling her to drink water and take her pills. She seems to be drinking less and less fluids each day, and it makes me worried.

Got up this morning, did a round of chores, and took Edgar to school. I love that kid. At home, I was awake for once, and Jen reminded me that I needed to prepare for my radio show tomorrow. So,I did that this morning while Sabrina watched more and more cartoons (she's getting sick of TV. That's a good thing.) and Jen fed and snuggled Betty. Just before noon, I tried reading in my chair, but soon fell into a deep deep sleep.

It was a stormy, rainy day, and Sabrina was feeling listless, so we didn't go much of anywhere. I had a long video game session in the afternoon, playing and switching off with Edgar and visiting with Jen and Betty and/or holding Betty while Jen got dinner ready.

Apparently, the storm is so bad (or projected to be so bad? I don't really know), that Edgar's soccer practice was canceled for tonight as well as both Edgar and Sabrina's games on Saturday. Well, at least now we don't have to agonize whether to have Sabrina play on Saturday or not...

After dinner, Edgar, Jen, and I snuggled downstairs to watch our netflix dvd, We Bought a Zoo. Yes, that's pretty much a synopsis of the movie, but it was nicely heartwarming. I forgot it was a Cameron Crowe movie, and I respect him. Even his sappy rom-coms are thoughtful and non-terrible. Halfway through the movie, we had an electrical brownout and Sabrina, who was watching separately upstairs and REFUSED to watch any movie about buying a zoo, came down to join us. It was great family time.

Speaking of buying a zoo, before finding out about this stormy weather, we kinda thought we'd go to the zoo tomorrow or the next day. We've got Friday off school, and now Saturday off soccer games. Adventures ahoy!

Anyway, Sabrina got excited, and wrote down what animals she wanted to see at the zoo. The results are surprisingly smart, and predictably cute:


Text:

BLOW
BLOOBRTS
LIYINCUBS
FLUMENGOWS
BATS
PAGWENS
PABS
BLACBARS

Translation:

Bluebirds
Lion Cubs
Flamingoes
Bats
Penguins
Panda Bears (don't know how she got there, but she insisted PABS was Panda Bears)
Black Bears


WAY CUTE.

In other cute/smart kid news, Edgar has told us for a few years that he sees letters as colors (and numbers are all black, FYI). This is a cool/fun thing because synesthesia is a sign of a creative/interesting/genius mind. Edgar apparently has grapheme-color synesthesia, which is the most common kind: We asked him to write down what colors he percieves each letter as, and this is what he came up with:





A B C D E 
F G H I J 
K L M N O  
P Q R S T  
U V W X Y Z


Fascinating,

No comments:

Post a Comment