Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Day 31: Pumpkin Patch

Yet another hard night with Sabrina and her tonsils. She really is pulling out of this, but her recovery is slower than we hoped.

Betty was problematic last night, too. Everything came to a head about 12:30, and I could tell Jen was at her limit. I reminded Jen that she doesn't have to take care of all the kids, all the time-- that's why we're a team. When Edgar was this age, he would cry for hours on end. We would eventually take turns-- "I've got the baby for the next three hours. I won't be bothering you no matter what" So, that's what I did. I took a crying Betty, got her to sleep for an hour, and then counted the minutes until 3:30 when Jen would take her back and feed her. We paced the house, we talked, rocked, swung, and everything you can imagine. It was quite the reminder of how difficult a baby can be. Still, she's nowhere near as hard as Edgar was.

When the alarm went off at 7, I had a hard time rolling our (not-too-difficult-anymore) 7-year old Edgar out of bed. He was up until midnight half-caring for Sabrina, half fidgeting and reading. We had to take a firmer hand with him this morning and make sure he got ready for school, and realized that any residual tiredness this morning was 100% his fault.

Luckily, once I walked Edgar to school, I got to come home and go right back to bed. Lucky me. Seriously, I have no grounds to complain about anything, ever.

Same as yesterday, I stumbled out of bed just before noon, and dozed in the living room chair until just after 1.

Sabrina woke up just as I returned from school, chipper and happy-- nothing like her angry, pained self last night. She came downstairs with a Pound Puppy, a My-Little-Pony, and a toy bunny, and announced she was going to watch Pound Puppies, My Little Pony, and Kate and Mim-Mim (a show about a girl and her toy bunny)

Later, she dressed them all in Betty's clothes. I think the Pound Puppy may be wearing Auntie Stefanie's blessing dress. oops.


Same as yesterday, Jen was feeling a little cabin fever, and Sabrina was doing better, so we went to the playground. This time, I took Betty while Jen did a Pidgey party in Pokemon.


Sabrina didn't need many pushes on the swings.
This was my view today.

We finished up at the park just as Edgar's School was getting out. Betty was asleep in her carseat, and we spontaneously decided that today was an adventure day. We went to our favorite Pumpkin Patch and had a grand old time.

For our Salem friends, Fordyce's is about a mile away from the gargantuan Bauman farms, and WAY less crowded. The downside was that it seemed kinda... halfhearted... this year. The kids had a WONDERFUL time playing on the hay pyramid/maze, but it was definitely the same one left out all year from last year-- there was grass growing on it.

Nevertheless, it was TOTALLY fun.

tunnel vision.


Sabrina wasn't supposed to do MUCH jumping around...

...but she sure loved it.

Top of the world

Sabrina took mom's phone as a flashlight through the tunnels.



We picked some pumpkins from the field-- one for each of us (baby got a tiny gourd).

Family rule is that you have to be able to lift and carry your pumpkin.

This one proved too big for Edgar to lift.
What a family!

Pretty country, too.

After buying all sorts of fun fall decor and produce from the pumpkin patch, we went home for some Burger King chicken nuggets and milkshakes for dinner. The kids went to bed (Early, because Edgar stayed up so late last night)

Jen and I settled on the couch and watched Now You See Me 2, in which Harry Potter asks Mark Zuckerberg, Woody, and the Hulk to find his Magic Broomstick, and nobody thinks anything is weird about this whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment