Thursday, October 20, 2016

Day 39: Smile

Today started out difficult.

You see, Edgar and Sabrina have NEVER had a hard time waking up. In fact, up until now, all our conditioning with them has been the please-stay-in-bed-until-the-clock-says-7 variety. They ALWAYS wake up.

So, this past few weeks have been unprecedented. At 7:00 AM, my alarm went off, so I stumbled up the stairs, still mostly asleep myself, to Edgar and Sabrina's room. "Wake up, sleepyheads!" "No." "No?" "Yeah. Goodnight."

So, what did I do? I spent a good 15 minutes pulling blankets off, cajoling, arguing, and full-on fighting with the kids trying to get them awake and going in the morning.

I can't keep doing this -- I'm not that much of a nag,and I am NOT a morning person. I also have things to do in the morning besides enduring verbal abuse from a 5 and 7 year old.

The kids barely made it out the door this morning, and were fighting, and catty, and rude, and generally unpleasant to be around.

I think 60% of my anxiety around this is the dawning realization that Monday I go back to work, and I've SO enjoyed the stress-free time focusing on my kids and family. So, I'm projecting my stress on the kids, who multiply it and send it back to me.

Anyways, getting the kids off to school felt like a herculean task, and once that was accomplished, I was not in a good state. I begged Jen's forgiveness and took (what I thought was going to be) a short nap. When I woke up at 1 PM, I was feeling a LOT better (=

We made a run to the hardware store, and spent some time reading and playing with Betty.

Betty is finally smiling! Here's a picture!
for comparison, here's Sabrina at the same age (in a very different light, though)
Can you tell these kids apart? They look exactly the same to me. I sure love them. It's going to be hard looking at baby pictures in the future, because I honestly can't tell 'em apart.


Also, here's a newborn picture so you can compare how much Betty has grown.
What a cutie.

Had a fun afternoon playing Pokemon Colosseum with Edgar. Sabrina's soccer practice was cancelled (unfortunately), so, to celebrate 2 weeks post-surgery, and her returning ability to eat normal food, we ordered pizza and watched the (twisty, cliffhangery, and unresolved) end of Season 2 of Star Wars Rebels. We played a bit more pokemon, and then the kids were off to bed, and I was off to the grocery store. Welp, tomorrow is my last official day off work, and we thought of going to the zoo (as that would be super fun and appropriate), but it looks like it's not going to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment