Friday, October 21, 2016

Day 40: Jen and Alex

I got to spend some quality time with the family member that I think I've missed the most this last forty-odd days: My lovely wife Jen.
plus my cute daughter Betty.
I got the kids to school this morning with fewer dramas. Sabrina got everything done early and got to watch more than a half hour of TV. Edgar dragged his feet mostly, but still got 15 minutes or so of screen time.

After walking the kids to school and completing my various morning chores, Jen and Betty were still asleep in the recliner, so I snuck downstairs to play Pokemon Colosseum. After quite a while of that,a very well-rested Jen and Betty came downstairs to meet me. We planned what to do today, on my last full official day off work (At least for a short while)...

We went to lunch at the Konditerei, a local restaurant known for its really really good cake. The place was packed, and we were the youngest folks in there, by at least 30 years. Betty did a good job of cooing and snoozing in her car seat next to our table. We ordered without the menu like regulars. I'm not sure if it makes me feel old or young, but it sure was good. Jen and I challenged the (level 10, blue) pokemon gym that was there and knocked it down a level waiting for our food to arrive. After soup and a sandwich (ribbon loaf ftw!) we each got a fat slice of yummy cake. Jen had Raspberry Lemonade cake, and I had Peanut Butter and Banana cake.

Full and happy, we headed to Bush Park and took a guided tour of the Bush House, an italianate victorian house restored to its 1913 glory.

Our tour guide's eyes got really big when she saw us carrying in a baby. Betty was fine, for the most part, but the tour guide about had a panic attack when Betty started to cry about 10 minutes into our tour. I took her outside to rock her, and she was asleep within 30 seconds of hitting the cold air.

The house was beautiful-- They said that its cost to build today would be about $140 million. There were ten sculptured marble fireplaces, each one different. There were TWO INDOOR bathrooms with hot and cold running water (a big deal for the 19th century), and lighting in both gas- and electrical varieties.

We didn't take any pictures unfortunately, but it was beautiful, and fun to learn about local history. We've been in Salem 15 years, so it's about time to see everything.

Came home, and tried to pull my records together for my radio show. Just at that moment, Edgar and Sabrina came in the door, and the house erupted into chaos. I couldn't find some of my CDs, I tried to pull out a cabinet to look behind it, and my record shelves very nearly collapsed and fell on Edgar. (Anybody know how to build record shelves?) Sabrina wanted attention, Betty was crying, and I was late for my radio show.

I cruised across town (with the car beeping at me that it was out of coolant!) to make it just barely on time, but very flustered. I had fun spinning the records, though.
It was a yellow vinyl kind of day.

After the radio show, I headed home. Jen had a babysitter lined up, so we went to Eric's house and mixed another song. Mixing a 16-track recording the old fashioned way is tough. Eric and Jen supplied the ears, and I moved the faders on the board. I think we got a good mix, though. 3 tracks down.

 
Jen and Betty, in the studio.
Jen and I made use of having a babysitter for the older two kids, and sat in the car and played Pokemon, and each had a pidgey party.

After taking the babysitter home, I ran to Wal-mart at 11 at night (sketchy....) to get a birthday present for Tom and T-Rex tomorrow. I think I got a good one. I also found 4 boxes of Jen's nursing pads, so I bought out the store.

What a fun day. What a great time I had with my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment