Monday, October 31, 2016

Day 50: Hallowe'en

Oh wow, we tried to pack way more into this 24 hours than would reasonably fit.

I was up too late last night, so when the alarm went off, Jen (who was more awake than me) fielded the kids and got them up. I did get up, eventually, and did dishes and made the kids' lunch.

So, double standard time: Apparently at the kids' school, the Kindergartners are encouraged to wear costumes and parade in front of the other classes, while the other classes are forbidden from wearing costumes. No I don't understand it, and I didn't really get any details.

Anyway, this morning, Sabrina did not want to wear her costume. Her suspenders had been left on the floor and stepped on and broken. So, she was one of the few kids in her class without a costume. I guess that was OK. Edgar, on the other hand, wore most of his Ash Ketchum costume, minus the hat, to school, since it could pass for normal clothes.  Kind of ironic. At least in the if-you're-not-the-pedantic-sort-that-complains-about-Alanis-Morrissette kind of way. I always get a little defensive using the word "irony" on the internet.

Got the kids off to school, and tried to do some chores around the house. It was fun and rewarding to get a day off to spend with my best friend Jen. I did eventually figure out how to fix Sabrina's suspenders.

We packed baby up in the car early and drove around town to try to replenish our supply of Pokeballs. It was at this moment that I realized that I had about 30 minutes' worth more work that I was going to go back and do Friday night and procrastinated over the weekend. No, I didn't go to work, I procrastinated it further down the line. Instead, we were running too late to get lunch, so we showed up to Eric's house early. He was having technical difficulties with his various vintage gear (an unfortunately common occurrence), so Jen and I got to go get lunch. Once we had returned, the gear was up and working, and we mixed another song.

It was super fun again to be in the recording studio, and Betty was great. Recording and especially Mixing is something that I've discovered that I love, and I wish I had spent more time/money/education earlier in my life to learn so that I could do it more than as a hobby. I think I have a natural talent for it. The bad thing about being me, is that I seem to have a mild natural talent for about 500 different things, but nothing that I'm the best in the world at. I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Anyway, after mixing one more song, (done!), we headed home and I got a smallish nap before the kids came home from school.

With the kids home, we all got decked up in costumes and did a photoshoot.

Edgar was Ash Ketchum, and Sabrina was Misty, the two main characters from the pokemon TV show. Betty was a cute little Pikachu, and Jen and I ordered T-shirts of Psyduck and Snorlax, respectively.

Here's the pictures:





Ash and Misty, upon finding Snorlax blocking the path.


Edgar's pumpkin
Sabrina drew and DRILLED this one herself.
After a grueling photoshoot, we followed our family tradition of visiting just a few friends and neighbors and then heading to Independence (the next town over) to spend Halloween at Vince and Christi's.
Trick-or-treating at the neighbors.

Vince and Christi live in one of those new subdivisions where there are a million houses that all look alike and are 2 feet away from their neighbors. This makes for lots of kids and easy trick-or-treating. The neighborhood was abuzz, and the trick-or-treaters were already starting when we showed up at 6. I took Edgar and Sabrina around while Jen helped Christi with dinner, and Betty napped.

The kids were really cute. Sabrina in particular was wound very tight. This was the first year that the kids really knew the trick-or-treating routine and were really confident (last year they were confident too, but it was a downpour last year, so it was a bit of a washout). Anyway, Edgar and Sabrina would march confidently up to door after door. Sabrina would yell Trick or Treat! Edgar would compliment them on their decor. They'd get candy. Edgar would show the people his stuffed Pikachu. Sabrina would try to explain to the befuddled grownups who she and Edgar were. Then, with a hearty "Thank you, and have a very happy halloween!", the kids were on to the next house.

Filling their buckets going up and down Vince and Christi's street, we finally arrived back at their house and the party was in full swing. We had yummy pizza and punch, and Edgar and Sabrina bounced off the walls.

After dinner, a rest, and some conversation, Sabrina was ready to go out again. Edgar was tired, and declined, so I took Betty in the Baby Bjorn and Sabrina, Betty, and I went out again.

By this time, it was nearing 8 PM, and Sabrina was one of the youngest kids out. Most of the houses had turned off their lights. After a while, the combination of dark houses and screaming Betty made us return. Sabrina was still wound up and wanted to go back out, but it was time to go.

We got some final pictures with the friends:


Judge Vince and Spider Christi
A happy, tired, family.

We piled in the car and headed home. We may have taken a bit of a diversion to catch some pokemon, but Edgar and Betty had sacked out in the back by this time.

So tired.

Once we were home, I started taking stock of all the things I wanted to get done before tomorrow. I figured I had about 24 hours' worth of extra stuff I wanted to do. Because I'm more of a night person than a morning person, I buzzed down to work and finished that 30 minutes of work I had been putting off.

After that, I meant to swing by the park and have a pidgey party and come home... but the park was FULL of people and pokemon. There were a whole bunch of cars in my favorite spot (that can reach 3 pokestops from the parking spot), and lures in every pokestop in the park. So, I sat and caught and caught and caught and caught pokemon until my pokeballs ran out. By that time, I had so many pokemon that I needed to do a pidgey party just to get rid of some. So, then I sat and wrestled with Pokemon Go and its glitchiness. I only got 29 pokemon evolved, but it was at least something.

Now, after a long blogging session, it's to bed much later than I wanted to be. Oh well. More adventures tomorrow. The party don't stop, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment