Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Day 23: Rocktober


Ack! how did it get to be the fourth day of October already? Also, how did it happen that I had this post almost finished and then somehow I hit control-z to undo something and Blogspot deleted the whole thing? Didn't even keep the draft that I hit "save" for. Grr.

,....anyway, I can't believe our September Gurl is already 3 weeks old! Where has the time gone?

Well, for good or bad, today was a jump with two feet back into normalcy (or at least what passes for normalcy today). I had a hard time convincing the kids that it was actually morning and time to wake up and get ready for school. Sabrina at least was excited to go.

With the tonsil surgery upcoming, Sabrina will be missing school picture day, and the annual Jog-a-thon. She was especially sad about the Jog-a-thon. Jen took inspiration from one of our favorite children's books, and decided to sponsor Sabrina on something she could do. Both of our kids really want to collect at least $30 to get the nifty jog-a-thon t-shirt. We pledged $4 for every lap Edgar makes on the track, and we pledged $4 for every drink Sabrina drinks the day of her surgery. Let's hope she stays super hydrated.

I fell into laundry and dishes with a will this morning. Stuff got gross sitting on the counter over the weekend-- Dad fail.

I did get just a short time snuggling Betty while Jen took a shower and got ready for the day.

Extra snuggly.

I did my annual cleaning-of-the-space-heaters ritual. We've discovered if you don't clean them, they smell like dust on fire for the first few weeks you use them. As the guy who has to work to pay the bills around here, I was really hoping for a few weeks of not having to either heat or air condition the house, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. We've spent all summer and early fall with the AC cranked to the max (thanks, pregnancy hormones!), and now it's cold enough we need to heat the house instead.


Here's a cute picture of Betty getting her breakfast all over her face:



...now why does that look familiar?












oh yeah:



Speaking of leaky milk, it appears that they are discontinuing our favorite brand of mammary leakage protection:

Johnson's. Keeps your shirt dry.
No other brand seems to work as well for Jen, and it looks like stores are selling out their stock of these. If you happen to run into a package or two, pick them up for us, please?


I spent a few hours answering phones for KMUZ's pledge drive. I enjoy the service KMUZ provides for the community, and love that there is a local voice for music here in Salem.

...that being said, I didn't look at the schedule when I volunteered for this block. I had to sit through 3 hours of prerecorded talk radio. I'm not a talk radio guy (I'm a music radio guy), and we didn't get very many phone calls, and I can't read when listening to talk radio, so I played Candy Crush on my phone for 3 straight hours, bored out of my skull.

Ran home, stuffed a sloppy Joe in my face, and then ran to school to pick up Edgar and Sabrina early. Thanks to a last-minute soccer practice cancellation, we took Edgar and Sabrina with us to our baby appointment and then on to Grandma and Grandpa's.

 Edgar said he had a bad day at school. Last year was a whole year full of bad days.

At Andaluz, we found that Betty is now 10 lb 6 oz, so well over her birth weight, which is super good for a 3-week old. Mama and baby are healthy and doing fine.

I slept while Jen and the kids listened to a book on CD all through traffic to Grandma and Grandpa's this time. For some reason, I cannot stay awake for books on tape. They're like Ambien, so I got a good nap in.

Visited with the folks and had a yummy dinner. Played a game of 3-handed [cutthroat] pinochle with Dad while Mom held the baby. Edgar was fascinated and wants to learn.

Then, a long car drive home. I was asleep for the first half (as they listened to the end of the book), but the book ended and I had to somehow wake up and drive home.

And now we are home, and I spent way too much time writing this blog and watching an episode of Charlie and Lola and trying to photoshop my baby's face onto a Fugazi album. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment