Monday, October 17, 2016

Day 36: In the Mix

From yesterday, here's a series of pictures of Grandma Carmichael and Betty making faces at each other:



 I had another night of taking the midnight shift with screaming Betty. It let me finish my book. Thankfully, Sabrina slept all night without waking up in pain once. That was a milestone.

Got up this morning and got both the kids to school. It was Sabrina's first day back to school since her surgery. She was a bit nervous walking in those front doors, but she did fine.

Did double chores this morning. Jen and I have come to an agreement that, despite both our upbringings in families where Saturdays-Are-For-Chores, we like to have weekends off chores. That allows us a lot more flexibility on Saturday adventures. What it also does is make the work pile up, and make mondays even more difficult.

We crammed an early lunch, swung by school to give Sabrina her medicine (easier than complying with all the school rules about sending medicine with the kids), and went to our friend Eric's for mixing.

Our band works at the slowest glacial pace possible. We've been working on this album since about 2012 or 2013. Some of the songs are leftover recordings from our first sessions in 2007 and 2010.  This isn't your typical recording/mixing process like many musicians use nowadays. We are using 100% analog, all-vintage gear-- no computers allowed. (see that screen in the studio pictures? that's an old TV/VCR for Eric to watch when he gets bored). We're mixing our original 16- and 8- track 1/2" reel-to-reel recordings down to 1/4" reel-to-reel, which will eventually be mastered to a vinyl LP.


We listened to some old mixes of songs that we didn't use for our 2012 album-- we decided we will probably have to re-mix the old stuff to get it to match in sound to the newer stuff. We then proceeded to mix two of our songs.

Eric mostly lets me run the board -- working levels, equalization, and effects. It's a little daunting but also really fun. I would love to have an opportunity to do this sort of thing more often-- I like being able to tweak and improve sounds-- but I don't want to be the guy who has to fix all the equipment, which Eric is the expert at.


 We came home just in time to clean the house a little before Edgar and Sabrina came home from school-- Apparently, Sabrina thought that some offhand remark Jen made a few days ago--about not going out in the rain or she would get sick--meant that she couldn't walk home in the rain and needed to wait for Mom or Dad to pick them up. That's not what we meant at all. The office called us, and we got it straightened out, and the kids walked home on their own.

I watched some Animaniacs with Sabrina, like I promised her this morning. I couldn't help but doze off during it.

A friend from church brought by KFC for us, which was totally yummy, and enough to feed 5 families our size. I sampled a little of each side, and was totally stuffed.

Nobody was watching, so I crawled into bed. Got a much longer nap than I 'spected.

Now, I'm off to the Space (second time in three nights. Sabrina says "You ALWAYS go there, DAD"). I'll report back tomorrow. In the meantime, here are some cute pictures Jen took while I was napping this afternoon:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment