Sunday, October 30, 2016

Day 49: Primary Program

Today was our big primary program. I've mentioned that in a few other posts, I guess.

So, I'm the children's music leader in my congregation at church. We have a fun time all year, but most of the year is practicing for the primary program, which takes place sometime in september/october/november.

Today was our program. The kids sang about 8 or 10 songs that we had been working on all year. Some highlights:

-We sang "Our House Becomes a Home", which was written by our beloved bishop's mother. It was super cute.

-We sang "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" which was very cute. We had a group of four sisters sing the second verse as a solo, and a little precocious 3-year-old, Brad Lewis, was supposed to sing the last line "I'll be a sunbeam for him!" .. he kinda got mixed up and spoke some line about "I just wanna be a sunbeam." which somehow ended up even cuter.

-We sang "Teach Me to Walk in the Light" -- the kids sang the first verse in Marshallese. We have a large group of Marshallese families who come to our congregation. I had the Marshallese grown-ups singing the second verse, and the congregation joined in on the third. It was pretty cool.

The program was a lot of work, and ended up being a lot of fun. My parents came to town to watch Edgar and Sabrina sing and do their speaking parts. They did wonderfully, of course.

After church, we retired to our house where the kids showed Grandma and Grandpa their costumes. Jen was cooking lunch, and Grandma was holding Betty but couldn't get her to calm down. She handed her to me, and she calmed right down, snuggled up on me, and we both fell sound asleep.


Had a great lunch with mom and dad, and a great legitimate nap afterwards. I set my alarm to wake up at 4 PM, but ended up just moving to the chair and falling asleep next to Jen. We both slept until 6 (which will probably be the source of no end of trouble over the next few days).

Edgar and I spent the evening playing pokemon downstairs. Sabrina and Jen watched TV (separately) upstairs. It was a pretty chill night.

Here are some pictures that Jen took whilst I was downstairs:




Jen was worried how Sabrina was holding Betty. Sabrina "No, Mom! I'm her lifeguard! This is what I've been training for!"

After putting the kids to bed with extra love, Jen and I settled downstairs to watch a movie or two.

We finished Jodorowsky's Dune, which is a strange documentary about the weirdest movie never made. Jodorowsky is this crazy movie guy from the 70s, and he wanted to turn Dune into a trippy allegorical movie. It actually would have been cool and very strange and very 70s, but it never got made.

Since we weren't a bit tired (and neither was Betty), we went ahead and watched Almost Famous, since we've been on a Cameron Crowe kick. It was, really, the perfect movie for Jen and I. Silly, funny, a touch romantic, Very much about rock and roll music but also kind of making fun of the lifestyle.

Now it's super late, and we need sleep for all the adventures tomorrow. This next week will be fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment