Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Day 9: Venturing out

 This baby....


This baby is sleeping about 20 hours a day, it seems like. Waking up to get a diaper change, eat, get another diaper change, then go back to sleep. I've been feeling like this is unusual, and we're trapped in the house, but then I got to reading my blog from when Sabrina was this age, and Jen's blog from when Edgar was this age, and I'm remembering now how this is all completely normal and this too shall pass.

Betty is even growing up a little bit. She doesn't have that fragile newborn-ness that hangs on for the first few days. She's here to stay.

Had a pretty regular morning of getting up, making lunches, and getting the kids off to school, except Sabrina informed me that she wanted to walk to school with her big brother, and without daddy. (sniff) She's growing up. Actually, I'm pleased and proud that the kids walk together and have each others' backs, etcetera. I'm just a little disappointed that the half-kilometer that I was getting every morning for hatching pokemon eggs is going away. Maybe now I need to actually get out and start walking.

Yes, I'm hooked on Pokemon Go. Not even ashamed of it. More on that later.
(heh heh.. I said "moron.")

Once the kids were off to school, I dozed in the chair for a while. I think it helped my sickness. I hope (as of tonight) I'm over it, especially since we plan on visiting my parents tomorrow, and Dad's on some sort of medication that suppresses his immune system.. scary.

Jen and I (and Betty) picked up a new show (on Amazon, no less), Bosch. It's a pretty R-rated police procedural based on some books that Jen read a while back. I read one, too, but I have less of an appetite for crime novels than Jen does. We watched several episodes. By afternoon I was beginning to feel restless, which must mean I was also beginning to feel better.

This afternoon, Jen, Betty, and I left the house for the first time. This was a big deal. Our first trip was to the Book Bin, to pick up the next book in Jen's series (note to self: that's a perfect way to make sure Jen wants to leave the house), then to Walmart to pick up a few diapers.

Jen was exhausted by the time we got home. Betty was fussy, but that's not surprising. Both will probably need a day to recover.

Took Edgar to soccer practice, and he goofed around and didn't listen to his coach. He was pretending to be a zombie, pretending to be the ball, running off in the wrong direction, pulling up grass, and generally spacing off the entire time. I know that 30 years ago, I was the spacy kid on the soccer team, who was off in his own little world while everyone else was running around, but I honestly don't think I was that bad. I actually played soccer and actually tried, occasionally... you just get bored sometimes....

Anyway, I tried to have one of those father-son talks with Edgar after soccer. I told him how terribly disappointed with him I was. We got emotional. He promised to do better next time. We'll see.

Ran off after dinner to a show at The Space. This was my first time seeing a show at The Space's new digs (I had a private tour a few months back). Playing the show were Chris Bernstorf and Kevin Schlereth, among others. Kevin has played many many shows at the Possum House and is something of an old friend.
The Kevin Schlereth band: Kevin and Jay Costlow

It was good to get out of the house, and good to hang out and see live music. Afterwards, I found a nice place to park the car and played some Pokemon Go.

Yes, I sat in a parked car in a public park for an hour in the middle of the night playing video games on my phone. I am THAT guy. I managed a Pidgey Party where I evolved 51 pokemon (if you don't play, don't ask...), and got a new most powerful pokemon, a 1700-level Exeggutor (yay.) I also managed to replenish my supplies. I had used all my Poke Balls and was down to Ultra Balls this afternoon. Now I'm good.

It's amazing how an hour at a park in the dark could reset my whole frame of mind. I'm refreshed now. I'm ready for tomorrow. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment