Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Day 2: Wings.

 Thanks to my crazy last night, Jen let me sleep most of the night. At 5:30 or so, she woke me up, handed me a fussy baby, and said: go rock her. So, I took her to the rocking chair, and both of us promptly fell asleep. It was nice.

Edgar and Sabrina got up at their usual time. I instructed them to do their morning chores, etc. (yay for a summer preparing for having a baby). Sabrina had no school today due to a strange Kindergarten start-up schedule, and I allowed Edgar to play hooky because I have a soft heart.

At first, we thought we'd stick around and let the kids play with baby, but soon we remembered evidence from our first two babies that Jen transforms into a hormonal destroying angel on day 3 after a birth. So we decided the best thing we could do today is make ourselves scarce

(on a sidenote, I think we may have jumped the gun on the destroying angel thing. Looks like it was day 3-4 with both edgar and sabrina, by the numbering system that makes this day 2. oops. well, here goes nothing)

I got the kids out of the house, and it was off to the Evergreen Air Museum (which has free reciprocal admission for Oregon Zoo Members in the month of September) . Evergreen is home to the Spruce Goose (the biggest plane ever made), which is so massive in size that the mind tends to ignore it in favor of the smaller, more comprehensible planes in the museum.

Goose.
inside the goose.

Edgar and Sabrina were a bit bored by most of the museum's subjects, but they loved the kids area in the museum, where they played some video games and rolled around on little plane-shaped scooters


I was fascinated by the gigantic Titan IV rocket.  I learned all about some of the subtler aspects of rocket design-- they hit right at my rather rusty Chemical Engineering background.


 The kids loved sitting in the cockpit of the flight simulator.




Experimental, just how we like it.

Got taken to lunch by my sister Laura (after accidentally going to Yan's Chinese restaurant instead of Chan's Chinese restaurant). The food and company was delicious, but the kids were picky and ungrateful. We've tried to teach them to be gracious and try new things. That's half-worked.

Came home and went to soccer practices. It was Edgar's first and Sabrina's third practice. They conflicted, so with the help of Grandma Vickie, I dropped her and Sabrina off very early for Sabrina's practice, and I got to go with Edgar. He's got the same coach he had last spring, and he's very good at motivating kids and getting them to play as a team. I'm excited for Edgar to grow. Sabrina is already boss of the team and is great. First games are this saturday.

Niece Greta had visited (with her little 1-year old T-Rex), and had cooked us dinner. We are so blessed to have such great family and friends. I am more and more realizing what a wonderful luxury it is to be able to take this time off work, as well as having support from family and friends. Our family is blessed, and I hope we can bless others.

1 comment:

  1. Love you! Glad I made it into your blog!!! You have a sweet squishy baby!!!

    ReplyDelete