Saturday, September 17, 2016

Day 6: Soccer Dad

Woke up gently this morning, with no crying baby. Sure is nice to have a grandma around to spell Jen off in the middle of the night.

Urgently got the kids fed, dressed, and out the door for soccer. Jen was a little confused why I was so stressed, but I was pretty sure of our timeline-- we needed to be out the door. I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to do all the things we had planned today. Turns out, I was right.

This morning was Sabrina's first soccer game, ever. Jen stayed home with our cute baby Betty (now in a cordless model! she lost her cord last night). The rains came this morning, and grandma was not used to Oregon weather.

Pictured: Two Umbrellas when it's not really raining = "Not used to Oregon Weather"

Sabrina played well. She's skilled and a good kicker, but maybe a little slow and not quite as aggressive as I thought she'd be. I got lots of good pictures on my other camera (which I'll upload...someday)

pictured: not quite a good picture of Sabrina playing soccer.

Once Sabrina's game was over, we hightailed it in the car up to the Portland Airport to drop Grandma Vickie off. My mom (who lives 15 minutes from the airport) garage-saled a new baby swing and wanted me to pick it up. We buzzed up there, and Mom shoveled some food in our mouths (yum!). That was a good thing, too, because it was probably faster than our other plans of getting some fast food somewhere. Checked google maps, and traffic was bad everywhere going south. We got stuck in a lot of it. We left an hour and 40 minutes before Edgar's game was supposed to start.... and got there 15 minutes late.

Edgar's coach (who is AWESOME) threw him in immediately at goalie. He knew just what to do and made a pretty amazing stop right away. Unfortunately, he got stepped on while stopping the ball (took one for the team, right?), and got hurt.
Here's goalie Edgar, trying to be tough.


He played forward the rest of the game. I missed almost the whole second half of the game, because Sabrina had to go to the bathroom. The park bathrooms were locked. So, we wandered over by the baseball fields, and Sabrina dropped her drawers and did her business behind a tree. Everything worked pretty well, except I had to teach her what the word "squat" means...

Finally made it home, and I was at the end of my patience for the day. Too bad, because our multi-talented doula/baker/photographer niece Greta came over to do some family photos. I think they turned out pretty good, although she kept telling me to blink because I was fighting off a thousand-yard-stare.

After Greta left, I did another round of grocery shopping. I feel like I finally have a feeling for what the kids need in their lunch, and what groceries we need around the house, so I got a ton of stuff tonight.

I got a redbox movie and we were supposed to have Taco Bell for dinner, just Jen and I, but Jen fell asleep in the chair, and I could tell she really needed it. So, we're saving the movie for some other night, and I had leftovers. Just fine. Now, Jen is awake, and I got to snuggle Betty for just a short time and remark how much she has already grown in the past week. She was doing little gas-smiles, and I know they aren't real, but I sure like the look of her smiling face.

Jen wants me to photoshop some of the family pictures. I probably will, but I'm too tired tonight, so here are our favorite unretouched family photos:



wait-- how did this one get in here?



1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahahaha! Just as I had planned!!!
    I love the two photos of Ed and Bina on the rainy deck! Ed screamed "Its colder than it looks out here!" When I was taking his photos!

    ReplyDelete