Friday, September 16, 2016

Day 5: Rocker in a rocking chair.

As I was finishing my blog last night, Jen handed me this cute squally little thing. Betty was fussing, and Jen was exhausted and needed some sleep. I bounced Betty and typed one-handed as best I could, and after a while, she fell asleep. I took her downstairs and plopped down in my wooden rocking chair (that nobody else likes to sit in) and played some video games mostly one-handed (RPGs lend themselves to that sort of thing). I kept expecting her to wake up hungry or with a full diaper or something, but she just kept sleeping. So, I kept playing video games.... and kept playing video games.... and kept playing video games. Finally by about 2:20 AM, Betty and I had beaten Miror B, one of the silliest video game bosses ever, and she was stirring a bit. So, I woke Jen up with the good news that she'd had 5 hours more sleep than she planned.

Girl was wafting up some pretty gross smells as I was holding her-- her umbilical cord has almost come off, and it's at the stage where it's super funky and gross.

Then, I was so exhausted, I couldn't stay asleep-- I kept kicking and shaking and waking myself up immediately after falling asleep. So, I spent a pointless half hour on the internet, and then Jen brought Betty out to sleep on my chest in the recliner. We spent the rest of the night snuggled, sleeping peacefully. It's good to spend quality time with my girl (=

Getting up in the morning was tough, but I managed. Jen and her mom were swapping stories of school horror stories and bureaucratic nightmares --

[can you believe the schools only let the kids have 20 minutes for lunch? 
      I want to take the superintendent out to a nice restaurant, wait 20 minutes, then get up and walk out. 
ALSO, can you believe the teachers don't allow the kids to trade food from their lunches? 
       Like, how can they stop them??? 
Also also, the kids aren't allowed to TALK at lunch! If they talk, they get sent to the bad-kids table! 
     What I don't understand is why don't the kids TRY to go to the bad kids' table? I've seen prison movies-- they can't control all of us. There isn't that much difference between an elementary cafeteria and a prison anyways. 
.OK, end rant.]

...anyway, after hearing several of those stories, I walked the kids to school and had one of those typical daddy/kid discussions about safety: ... 
If a kid is bugging you, what to you do? 
      Tell them to stop! 
If they won't stop? 
      Tell a teacher!  

If a grownup is doing something really bad what do you do? 
     Scream and yell! 
What if a grownup is bothering you, but not doing something really bad?
     Tell them to stop!
And if they won't stop?

"OK kids, here's what you do: if a grownup is bugging you, but it's not something they can get in trouble for, repeat after me: 'I peed my pants and need to call my parents'"

Edgar loved the idea, but wants to embellish it with poop. Sabrina can't imagine a situation where she would lie to a grownup.

...anyway, I was having one of those moments (walking to school), and I also told Edgar and Sabrina that if they were ever having a bad day at school, they could call home for any reason and I would come and pick them up .... once. "But what if the second time is much worse?" said Edgar. "We'll deal with that when we come to it."

I love those kids. I hope I'm an okay dad. I sure hate the stupid school rules, and I hope my kids will handle it better than I would in their situation.

Came home and organized our Disney DVD collection (it's a mild obsession, okay?), played some more video games, read, and had a nap. Jen's mom got to spend some time with Betty:
 

... and we talked Jen's mom into playing some board games with us. I installed a new showerhead (yay for easy, manly jobs around the house) and had my first shower in several days. The kids came home from school, and they were cute. 

I kinda had plans to go to a concert at The Space tonight, but I decided to enjoy my hermitage for a little bit longer. We listened to my prerecorded radio show on KMUZ. I'll be back live on the air next Friday.

Made a quick store run, and picked up a redbox movie. Eddie the Eagle was cute, and it reinforced the sports-movie trope that in order to achieve your dreams, all you need is a montage. How do I get a montage of my own?

This is what I have snuggled with me now. Typing one-handed is getting easier. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment