Thursday, September 15, 2016

Day 4: There's not much difference between ducking and lying low

Attempted to start a Stranger Things bingewatch last night to complement the 24 bingewatching we did in Edgar and Sabrina's infancies. Got through the first 10 minutes, and it was apparent the show would be way too scary for Jen's tastes. Too bad-- the show has almost universal acclaim among our friends, and we haven't yet figured out what to watch in its place.

We watched about 20 minutes of The Way instead, and it was alright -- I always tend to view these sorts of shows through an economic lens -- that's all nice that you are going to walk 800 miles to find yourself, but most people have bills to pay and can't take 2 months off work at the drop of a hat... (ye gods! whatta meesa saying? here I am taking 7 weeks off work!)

Had a good nights' sleep, as apparently Jen's mom woke up in the middle of the night and took care of Jen and baby while I slept.

Betty is getting better at nursing now. Jen has had problems with all 3 kids learning to nurse-- it's very painful for mama and frustrating for mama and baby. Yesterday morning, she gave me 20 reasons why the world was ending and Betty would never nurse. I took all 20 with a grain of salt (see the Vengeful Destroying Angel thing I've been talking about for the last few days) and just tried to reassure her and calm her. Things are improving on the nursing front. Jen now has a lot of milk to give, and Betty is enthusiastically eating, but things are still painful and difficult.

Laundry, packed lunches and took the kids to school this morning. (after school, both Edgar and Sabrina informed me they don't like jellybeans in their lunch-- WHAT?? Turns out they've both been burned by Bertie Bott's before, and can't fully trust that their Jelly Bellys won't turn out to be toejam flavored.)

Anyways, napped immediately and deeply upon returning home.  Jen woke me up about noonish and I took a turn with Betty.

Played some more pokemon, and picked up some yummy mexican food for lunch.

Our fridge is now overflowing with leftovers. We've got to start eating some of these. Jen assigned me to leftover rotation duty, which is fine-- I can handle this. Then, this morning, she lectured me for about 15 minutes about how to do it, and how she was afraid I was doing it wrong, and that all the food was going bad, etc. etc. -- I just said "yes dear" -- I'm learning! This is the height of the "vengeful destroying angel" hormone cycle after birth, and I've learned never to disagree.

Had some family friends visit Jen and the baby, and their 10 and 8 year olds came down and found me playing video games. I introduced them to Super Mario Maker. You're welcome.

Took Sabrina to her soccer practice. Yes, I'm soccer dad. I wish I'd've brought good walking shoes and turned it into pokemon/exercise time, but whatever. Sabrina is the most skilled (and biggest) kid on her kinder soccer team, but I'm noticing that she's the slowest. She doesn't hustle. Need to work on that.

Brought Sabrina home, and finally caught up on the blog (or at least that's what I'm doing now), and Jen and Betty woke up just as it was time to put the kids to bed.

Since it was such a beautiful indian summer night, I sat on our upstairs porch with Edgar and Sabrina for a few minutes looking at the stars (and the StarTracker app on my phone)

Now, the house is quiet. Let's see what tonight brings. no sleep? bring it on.



And now, a comparison.




Betty, taken today.



Sabrina


Edgar


Jen and I have a real hard time telling the Betty and Sabrina pictures apart.

Some rank ordered stats:


Weight:

1) Betty - 9 lb 11 oz
2) Edgar - 8 lb 5 oz
3) Sabrina - 7 lb 9 oz
loser = the metric system )=

Length/Height:

1) Betty - 22in
2) Edgar - 21.5 in
3) Sabrina - 20.25 in

Overdueness:

1) Betty - 5 days late
2) Edgar - 4 days late
3) Sabrina - 3 days early

Labor Time:
1) Edgar - 13 hours
2) Betty - 6 hours
3) Sabrina - 2 hours

Hairiness:
1) Edgar (hair down to his EYES at birth!)
2) tie - Sabrina and Betty

Okay, that's today's issue of Baby Stats. Now, some extra pictures:

family.

Betty and Grandma Carmichael



Jen, glowing, post-birth.


A visit from our midwife Tracy (yesterday)

No comments:

Post a Comment