Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day One -- Being Sociable

Day One:

(again, I apologize for the lack of pictures. I'll bombard the blog with pictures tomorrow)

Woke up relatively well-rested. Baby and I slept well, undisturbed on her first night in the world. Jen had some discomfort (completely understandable), and didn't sleep well until she finally capitulated and took two extra-strength tylenol. [compare this with an epidural...]

Had a nice lazy breakfast and a long day with our postpartum nurse, Pippa. Got ready for the day slowly, read some books, held the baby, and stuff. Not a bad way to spend our time together.

Edgar spent last night with my folks, and they all came and visited this morning.

Jen will give a different version of this story, but... Edgar saw his baby sister, and was very excited to see what we had all been talking about for months, but lost interest quickly. He was much more interested in his mama, and making up for lost time after a night away.  My parents were understandably cute, and we got some good pictures and good conversation in before they carted Edgar away.

Had lots of visitors throughout the day--all day, and each one was a pleasure and a blessing. We were grateful to see all the family and friends who were excited to see our baby girl. At some point during the day, during a moment of quiet clarity, we came to the name Sabrina Eldora Carmichael for our baby girl.

The name Sabrina comes from Milton's Comus, but really, it comes from the movies. Both the 1954 version of Sabrina and the 1995 remake, two of our favorite movies. (Tie goes to '95 for brilliant dialogue.)

Eldora was the name of Jen's great-grandma who was adorably cute and passed away a few years ago. Carmichael, I'm afraid we're all stuck with...

I will post many pictures of loving family holding the baby... tomorrow. We will have picture capability starting tomorrow.

I've been typing a lot of this one-handed, with a sleeping baby on my chest. I promised Jen that she would get 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Let's hope I can make it that long.

1 comment:

  1. This would have taken me 3 hours to type one handed. Take it easy guys and get all the rest you can. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete