Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 3-- It's all about Edgar

Day 3

So, today was the day I had kinda been waiting for: my first opportunity for Adventures-with-Edgar. Every week, Jen takes Edgar to this kiddie music class put on at the church. I'd heard a lot about it, but it's always during work time.

So, we went. It was WEIRD. I'm trying to sort through in my mind as to WHY it was weird. The easy answer is to blame it on my gender. I do think I may have been the only guy over the age of 5 to ever to set foot in that class. However, I'm far from the average "guy"... for one thing, I work with kids and music on a regular basis. I'm the song-leader for the kids in my church congregation; including leading singing time every week for a group of 1-3 year olds, of which Edgar is a member. So, I'm used to kids and singing, why was this weird?

Was it that there were maybe 5 or 6 parents there and 20 kids? Where did the kids come from? They were all under the age of 5 or so, and if there were sibling groups, there were no more than maybe groups of 2 brothers/sisters, so where did all the kids come from? Somebody's day care must've snuck in there.

Was it that I'd intruded within the sacred inner circle of a bunch of stay-at-home moms that regularly abbreviate things like SAHM? I've seen those blogs before, they're weird, too. I definitely felt like the interloper there. I plan to take Edgar to his regular Play Group on wednesday, so I'll confirm there.

Was it my anxiety over Edgar acting out? Was it just not being used to being in a new place? Was it the preponderance of prerecorded songs with silly actions? I'm only vaguely familiar with The Wiggles, but after today, I'm vaguely certain that I want them dead. Who knows. Anyway, long story short, the children's music time was weird, and they asked me to lead "movement time" next week, whatever that means.

By 10:30 AM, I was ready to be done with Edgar's tantrums.

Spent most of the day doing chores and trying to wrestle a very whiny Edgar away from his mother. Fed everyone mostly leftovers that we accumulated during our stay at the birthing center.

Tracy our midwife came for our postpartum checkup, and our friend Danita came and took lots of photos. When we get some, I'll post them here. She takes brilliant photos, so I'm quite excited.

We had some leftover birthday cake (from MY birthday), and Jen had the brilliant idea of lighting a candle, and singing happy birthday to Sabrina (mostly for Edgar's benefit). I didn't argue, I got ice cream cake out of the deal.

That's about it. I could give you all the boring details of naps and stuff that are becoming the important parts of my day... I've got dishes and shopping and laundry to do before I finish for the night, while Jen is watching Back to the Future in bed with our cute little daughter. "The time displacement is instantaneous!"


So now a comparison:



Sabrina


Edgar

People have been asking if she looks like Edgar did. Well, she's definitely related, especially the hair. But somehow, she looks-- different. She's darker-complected, for one. Her hair is straight while Edgar's was curly. Edgar's hair was ever-so-slightly longer. They've got different noses and cheeks. It'll be interesting to see what she grows up to be. We sure love this little girl.


Oh-- the following is a postscript on yesterday's post:

I realized after I hit post last night that I (understandably) focused on the crazy side of Edgar. While this is undeniably the side that is shown off more, there are some sweet moments. Take for example last night, at family prayer. We have a family prayer every night. Edgar hasn't yet done the kiddie prayer thing where he repeats every other word that mom says as a prayer. Just never had the desire. Then, last night, just as I was about to say the prayer, Edgar rattles off: "Heavenly-father-thank-you-for-this-day-thank-you-for-grandmas-and-grandpas-and-mommy-and-daddy-and-THIS!!!", pointing to the baby. Jen prompted him with her name, "Sabrina", and got him to finish the prayer too. It was a really sweet moment.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear we aren't the only ones dealing with the tantrums of the displaced toddler. Our daughter has had a really rough time with the usurper in the house and her personality/attitude has altered just enough that the tantrums are making us all more tired than the newborn is! Haha!

    Good luck working through everything with Edgar. If you come up with any great tricks, please let me know! :)

    By the way - your daughter is gorgeous and your son is a cutie pie!! Congrats to your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I don't think I've ever met you but you are married to my cousin's daughter so I love you! :P I have SO enjoyed reading your blog and as a SAHM I have to agree with your entire post!! ;) Congrats to you, Jen and Edgar on Sabrina's arrival!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a new theory on the music class thing. I think that I may, like the legendary Axe Cop (http://www.axecop.com), just simply hate "Baby Music" : (http://axecop.com/index.php/acask/read/ask_axe_cop_49/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of baby music either . . . I have a hard time going to our ward's music time, too. And the only kid music we listen to is a Barenaked Ladies cd that they made aimed at kids. It's the least annoying one for me.

    ReplyDelete