Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 16-- Primary only

It seems as if I spent all day preparing for and recovering from my hour-and-a-half spent as Primary singing leader.

Ed was up, 7:15 like clockwork. After coddling him for a bit, took a long shower. Showers are where I normally get inspiration, and since I'm pretty terrible at preparation and planning ahead, most of my Singing Time lessons are planned out in the shower, the morning of.

I came up with some rudimentary ideas of what to sing today, and spent most of the morning juggling two kids, helping Jen through a shower, trimming my newly-shaggy face into some semblance of a beard, and throwing breakfast at Edgar, etcetera.

Really, Jen did most of the heavy lifting this morning. We again skipped the first hour of our 3-hour service so that Edgar could get a little nap in beforehand. At 1:30, we trundled a just-woke-up Edgar and an sleeping Sabrina in the car to take Sabrina to church for her first time.

I spent the next hour-and-a-half (usually it's two hours, but it was shortened today) jumping up and down, making a fool of myself, blowing out my vocal cords, and having a blast singing with ... (how many? maybe) 60 kids over the course of a Sunday. We got to show Sabrina off, and she was suitably impressive.

Home from church, we all kind of sat on the bed while Edgar and Sabrina vied for mom's attention, and mom and dad played a halfhearted round of video games. Expending that much energy on Primary sure wipes me out.

I took Sabrina and was off to a baptism. I'm not sure who was giving whom a break by me taking Sabrina to the baptism, but it was nice not to have to wrestle Edgar through an hour service. Sabrina was fussy, but at least she's cute while she's fussy.

Home, and sending out emails for my primary calling, as well as trying to get Edgar to bed.

Getting Edgar to bed was a challenge. He was throwing a fit, sweetly asking us to sing a song for him. The problem was, he wanted a specific song, but was unintelligible in the song title. It was something like the "Ki Ka Go Song" or "Ki Ko Song".. I don't know. Usually, Edgar's pretty good at pronouncing, and we're pretty good at interpreting, but both Jen and I were stumped. When we asked him to sing it for us, he was sad and insisted that WE should sing it. We guessed nearly every song we know, but we still don't know what he wanted us to sing, but it broke his heart that we wouldn't sing it for him. How sad.

Boy, that was it. That was all we did today. How sad, indeed. We're going to be up and out early tomorrow (hopefully).

3 comments:

  1. Samantha and Ashley (and probably Bryce if he could talk) worship you. Like seriously, you are a rock star to them. The other day we were walking out of church and Sam saw you from a distance in the parking lot. She started jumping up and down pulling on my sleeve saying " Mommy!! Look it's him! It's Brother Carmcihael! He sings in the primary! Look mom I can SEE him!" One of Ashley's favorite songs is still "Polly had a Dolly". I think there are going to be some broken hearts (even if one of them isn't yours..lol) when you are released one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, shucks. Thanks, Jess-- and tell Ashley and Samantha thanks, too. I really DO love my calling. I love all those kids. I will miss it so very much if/when I ever get a new calling. I just occasionally resent the psychic toll it takes on me. I'm usually a pretty introverted person, and it takes a lot of energy to crawl out of my shell. So, after Sundays, I need quite a bit of recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been the primary chorister 4 times since I turned 18 (literally - it was my first calling just after my 18th birthday). I definitely hear you on how exhausting it can be. It is totally like putting on a show for the kids every week. Glad you were able to take it easy the rest of the day!!

    ReplyDelete