Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 17-- Fencing and Basketball

We got up bright and early this morning and delivered on the promise that we made to Edgar last night-- that the moment he woke up, we'd go to Grandma and Grandpa's.

True to our word, we were on the road bright and early. We hadn't actually told my parents we were coming that early. It's a good thing my family is easy-going, right? I called Mom and gave her an hour's warning that we would be joining them for "Breakfast Club".

We learned that Dad would be repairing a fence (and that he'd be short on help), so after a fantastic, filling breakfast and nap number one, I headed outside to help Dad and nephew Henry put up a cedar fence. Edgar watched out the window, then came outside to observe, but got sidetracked by playing with cousins.

First, we tore apart the old fence, which was about 30 years old. The wood was the consistency of wet cardboard, came apart by hand, and had some really interesting moss and plant life growing on it.

From there, Dad showed us how to build a fence, then stood back and watched us do it. It felt pretty good to be working with my hands, accomplishing something concrete, and learning how to do something that I may need in the future. In short, I felt like a good son. The fence went up quick, and Mom rewarded us with our choice of two yummy lunches. [Lunch was lentil soup at noon, which I skipped, and "dinner" was ribs at 2 PM]

After a quiet afternoon nap, we were about to start our ritual game of pinochle when nephew Daniel called with an offer of free blazer tickets.

After a split-second of decision making, we decided to let Grandma and Grandpa take Edgar, and Jen, Sabrina, and I would go to the basketball game.

We had a blast. I got lots of looks as the daddy carrying the 2-week-old baby into the stadium, but there were other babies there, including a 3-month-old just a few rows in front of us who was at her 5th game (her first being at 2 weeks also).  We got a couple of pictures, which I'll post later.

Sabrina was cute and awake during the game. We had nosebleed seats, but it didn't matter. It was a blast being there. The blazers lost to the sacramento kings. The blazers were on fire when they were hot, but they spent much more time cold than hot.

Auntie Dani (my sister) had the sniffles and was heartbroken that she couldn't hold the baby during the game.

We hit the grocery store for supplies on the way home, and came home to a sleeping Edgar. Since we don't particularly have anything to do tomorrow, we'll spend the night. The sleeping arrangements will be a bit weird, though. Edgar is in a playpen in my old room. I'm going to crash in there, too, and try not to wake him up with my snoring. Jen and Sabrina are going to camp on an air mattress in my parents' basement, so as not to wake up Edgar with Sabrina's crying in the middle of the night.

The weird things we do as inexperienced parents...

No comments:

Post a Comment