Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 12 -- Little Adventures

Our sweet little daughter curled up next to her mother and only woke up once during the night.

Our sweet little son stretched out in his crib and woke up four times.

Something's wrong here.

Edgar at night is mostly Daddy's job. I say mostly because Jen was sweet and handled one of the four incidents last night. I wish I knew what the matter was. Heaven knows, Edgar is communicative enough, but when I ask him why he's waking up at night, he can't or won't answer. Is he sick? no. Is he scared? maybe. Is he sad? Yeah. What does he want? Mommy.

Okay. After a night like that, I was in no mood to deal with the kids, but regardless, I really needed to get out of the house. Playgroup got cancelled at the last minute, so we improvised. Jen fed Edgar breakfast while I slept in the rocking chair with Sabrina on my chest. Then, Edgar and I went exploring.

We hit not one, but TWO guitar stores here in Salem. Edgar was fascinated. So was I, but I'm at the point where the next guitar that I want to buy is so expensive that I just have to dream and hope.

The guitar stores were on the way to the Salem Carousel. I had a couple of spare tokens from my last attempt to take Edgar to the carousel, which didn't go too well. This time, he had a blast. "Horsie! Up-and-down!" He rode a horse and a zebra (!), and after two rides, was still so blissful and surprised that he didn't begrudge us leaving while it was still magical. In typical Alex-fashion, I didn't bother taking the camera with us, so we have no photo-documentation of our adventures to share. We were too busy having fun.

From there, we went to Lancaster Mall, ostensibly to go to the "ski store". Edgar played on the little-kid playground while I got some reading in. Check these pictures out:







...Now, compare this picture to this one, taken of Edgar at about 5 or 6 months old in the same spot (he was just standing up on his own)  :



He's even got the same expression on his face!

We wandered down the mall aimlessly, terrorizing all the weird power-walkers that are typically there on a weekday. The random old people walking the mall loved him.

We got a Strawberry Julius (an indulgence for me), and picked up my skis from the shop. Next, we had a father-son lunch at Wendy's. Poor kid-- that's where his mom always takes him. He didn't mind. I bought him fries and chicken nuggets and he ate only ketchup and ranch dressing. He made friends with all the people in the restaurant. We also had two people stop us today and ask us how old my daughter was. He was wearing blue. It's the hair...

...speaking of which, Jen had a conversation with Edgar the other day. It went something like this:

J: "Edgar, it's getting about time to cut your hair. Would you like a haircut?"
E: "No."
J: "We'd cut your hair and you'd look like Dylan and Max and Sam" (all kids from church with short hair)
E: "No! Long like Daddy!"

Well... I can't say that I haven't influenced him. I wouldn't mind him cutting his hair, though. The Prince Adam / Page Boy cut is looking a little weird. If it were me, I'd cut the hair over his ears and turn it into a mullet. Yeah, Jen won't have any part of that.

Had a rad nap at home. (thanks, Jen!), then, I stole the baby.

I took Sabrina to work with me. I let all the ladies (with their strong perfume) pass her around. I had to retrieve an encrytped file from a secure server (sounds like something off of 24, right?), so I needed to spend about 5 minutes in the office. Sabrina was so good that I ended up showing her around the whole place. She was a sweetie and stared at everyone and wiggled, and was generally an angel.

I like taking my kids into work. I like to think that it buys me a bit of forgiveness if I'm flaky or blow a deadline occasionally... "It's okay-- you have the most adorable daughter in the world. I'm sure you were up all night with her instead of making sales projections..."

I came home this evening, and finally fixed the table that I put off from a few days ago. Edgar was fascinated with the electric drill. Jen's a bit disappointed that I fixed the table. She was hoping to replace it.

At dinner, Edgar managed to smear spaghetti all over himself and fill his diaper with (uneaten) noodles and sauce. Jen was gracious enough to shower with Edgar after dinner.

So, back on the potty-training thing, Edgar had 3 different potty-sessions today, including a marathon hour-long one this evening. Edgar couldn't coax any #2 to happen, but he peed multiple times. I'm sure this is wonderful stuff you all want to hear...

We still aren't sure where to go with this potty-training thing. I think we both appreciate the commitment it takes to potty-train a kid, especially a boy, and one so young as Edgar. So, on one hand, we're not really ready for it. On the other hand, Edgar's doing it all on his own. It'd be a shame to discourage him.

So, I guess we'll see where the next day or so takes us with this potty training thing. First order of business is to buy one of the rad toilet seats that we bought for our upstairs neighbors for christmas. They love it and gave a unilateral recommendation to anyone with a toddler.

Okay, well, I have stayed up way too late writing this. See you next time

No comments:

Post a Comment