Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 10-- Surprise potty

Day 10--

So I just turned to Jen, and said, "What on earth did I do today?"

Jen: "Well, you cleaned up a bit."

Me: "Yeah. That feels like all I did."

Jen: "And you got a good nap in."

Me: "Yeah. Cleaned up and napped. That's about all I did."

Jen: "And I got some practice at being a mother of two."

Nice way to put a positive spin on it, Jen. So, basically today, I didn't help out at all.

Well, we had our typical morning for the last few days: slept in, woke up with Edgar and watched some TV. Cleaned up some. I took a warm shower, and found the shower so relaxing, I snuck off to our bed to see if anyone would notice if I continued the relaxation.

Jen brought Sabrina in and laid her down in the crook of my arm. Sabrina likes sleeping in my armpit. Basically, she snuggles down between my arm and body as I lay on my back. It was pretty cute, and we snuggled and slept for about 2 hours today. I'll have to get some pictures sometime of Sabrina sleeping in my armpit. We didn't get any today (thankfully).

I woke up to find that Jen and Edgar had broken the leg off our living room coffee-table / dining table / central furniture piece in our apartment. Edgar helped me gather tools to fix it. He was so excited to get tools that it took me a couple of trips to the garage, because I'd find a hammer, and he'd take it from me and sprint back inside because he was ready for me to fix the table.

In the process, I discovered that I had put my cordless drill away for the winter and the battery had gone dead, so that derailed that project. We still have a coffee table in the middle of our living room looking like a dead insect with its legs in the air. The battery's all charged, but I'll wait until tomorrow to fix it when I have an audience.

I'll take any chance I get for Edgar to see his dad use tools. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person out there, but, presented with a problem, I can solve it most of the time. Just don't ask me to proactively remodel anything. I prefer to work on things that are already broken. For example, the coffee table was a $10 garage sale find, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if I somehow messed it up and we had to replace it.

Since I had to accomplish something, I rearranged my Alex-corner of our apartment. In this corner, we have all our media: hundreds and hundreds of CDs, hundreds of records, several DVDs and videos, and a bunch of video game systems. Re-doing this corner appeals to the collector-geek within me, and I was able to get the records that I listen to most often closer to our record player so that we can actually use them, and I made space for our new Wii to have a permanent home.

I'm being a little more trusting with Edgar and removing the large trunk that was blocking him (and us) from gaining access to all the good stuff in the corner. Let's see how he handles the temptation.

For the last few years, we have been more and more listening to vinyl primarily. It's been a fun trip. Part of it is the proliferation of vinyl-with-free-digital-download packages, which is the main way we buy music now. Part of it is the fun of listening to vinyl, and part of it is the audio geek in me saying that I can just tell-- vinyl generally sounds better in many ways than CDs and MP3s. I know that Edgar by far prefers listening to records-- he can see them going around and around as he listens to them-- there's something real and physical about the sound.

We even managed to sneak in a couple of rounds of Super Mario Wii while Edgar was distracted and Sabrina was sleeping. I even got to the point where I could hold Sabrina and play a level of Mario while holding her. She was generally looking for places on me to nurse: not the most productive activity.

Then, this evening provided the surprise of the day: Edgar asked his mommy if he could sit on the potty.

We haven't really introduced Edgar to potty training, although he's been exposed a bunch by having the upstairs neighbor kid, and Edgar's upstairs daycare friend and next door neighbor all going through potty training. So, Edgar knows all about it, but we haven't really offered it to him.

I'll skip the gory details of the potty training session -- (Jen: this is something you are free to blog about-- I know you're all about these kind of stories) -- suffice it to say that it was successful and surprising. It's not in our plans to potty train Edgar with a 1-week-old baby in the house (Too stressful and unnecessary. Besides, he's acting up enough already), but I guess we'll see where this leads.

After some celebration ("There's a potty going on right here / a celebration to last throughout the year / so bring your good times and your laughter too / we're gonna celebrate your potty with you")

putting Edgar down for the night, we snuggled up with more 24 and Mario Wii.

So, this is a lot of writing about a really boring day. Sorry for all the boring details. I promise that we will get outside of the house tomorrow and do something.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, you may be able to hold Sabrina and play Wii--but I was nursing her and playing Wii. I think I win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down, Jen wins!! :P Awesome about Edgar... I'm jealous! Casey is showing zero interest in the potty other than he likes to flush the toilet and then stick his head in it- yuck! :)

    ReplyDelete