Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 9-- 24 Hours

Day 9--

We were up for hours last night watching 24 on netflix. It's a remarkably similar situation to this blog post that Jen made almost two years ago. The only difference is that I have to wake up with a toddler in the morning... oh, and we don't have the baby crying for hours on end in between episodes of 24.

 I spent a few hours last night with Sabrina, who seems to have her most wakeful periods in the middle of the night unfortunately. She's not bad by any stretch (since we know how bad an infant can be), but she did want to change position every 30 seconds, which is not conducive to daddy-napping.

I had to get up in the morning with Edgar, and we watched Muppets from Space for the 10th or 12th time since we got it for Christmas. I really didn't mind-- it could've been worse.

The soundtrack for the movie is all classic funk (which was a favorite album of an old roommate of mine), and that got me listening to all the 3 or 4 classic funk MP3s on my computer. Classics by Parliament, among others. Anyway, I spent a half hour or so this morning bouncing Sabrina to the funky beat while I read a book. I also started a discussion with our neighbor on facebook about the semantics of the word funk. She wondered if our apartment smelled badly. Jen also decided that should I ever relent and allow her to get a dog, "The Funk" would make an excellent name for a pet. Think of it: "Help me find The Funk!" "Did you take The Funk out?" "Bring The Funk!" etc. Of course, its nickname would be "Funky", and its house would obviously be called "Funkytowne"

Jen mercifully took the kids for a bit and cooked lunch and allowed me to get ready for Primary.



I got Edgar all dressed up for church today in a cute outfit from my mom. His grandma has taken to spoiling him outrageously since he spent so much time with them over christmas and Sabrina's birth. He's a handsome devil.



Since Edgar was hamming it up for the camera, he wanted to take some more pictures. "Edgar silly!", but all the silly pictures ended up looking angry. Here's his best attempt at silly.

We gave edgar an early nap, and went to the last 2 hours of our 3 hour block of church. Edgar had a blast with all his friends in nursery, and I had a fun time trying to keep several dozen hyper kids hyped up and distracted enough that they didn't notice that they were practicing the same 3-verse song 4 or 5 times in a row. It actually kinda worked. 

Came home for some relaxation. Jen again took the kids and let me nap for maybe 2 hours!



I realized that it's been a while since I've posted pictures of Sabrina. Even now, she looks less infant-ish than she did. She's holding my hand in that picture. She does spend a lot of time sleeping, which is really sweet.

Another thing I've noticed is that we are drowning in diapers. I've heard all these anecdotes about how having two in diapers is terrible. The changing them hasn't gotten so bad yet, but when I go to take these overflowing diaper pails out, and I realize that maybe 1/4 of the garbage can we share with our neighbors is being taken up by disposable diapers, the mind reels.

...Of course, the hippie in me just cringes at the damage we're doing to our planet by our short-sighted decision of using disposable diapers. However, I babysat an all-cloth-diaper family when I was a teenager. They had two kids in cloth diapers. Thanks to their two kids, our kids are disposable-diaper kids.

Watched who-knows-how-many episodes of 24 with Jen tonight after Edgar went to sleep. Also got even a bit of Mario in. Now, it's super late and hours past when I should've turned in. Ah well. Tomorrow is a holiday -- not that that means much, but I think it translates in our lives to everybody-stays-inside-and-doesn't-even-get-dressed. We'll see.

Wow, I think I had much higher expectations for our level of activity over these 42 days. We hardly watched TV or anything as a family before. Now, it seems, all our time seems to be spent facing a screen. Oh well, the pendulum will probably swing back again before too long.

Okay, so I finally found our camera today, so here are some pictures that I'm sharing from a few days ago: 


Our little birthday party for Sabrina, and singing Happy Birthday to her.




2 comments:

  1. Cloth diapering is much easier these days than it probably was when you experienced it. With the amazing all-in-one (use it once, then wash, as close as you can get to a disposable), awesome covers and diaper sprayers...

    It actually shouldn't be any harder than disposable diapering except that you keep the diapers and wash them. According to any box of diapers you buy, you should be putting any solids (read: poo) into the toilet before throwing away your disposable diaper anyway.

    By throwing away diapers with baby poo in them, we're creating a health hazard to our water supplies. =(

    /cloth-diaper rant

    Seriously, if you ever want to look into it, there are often great deals at www.babysteals.com and www.babyhalfoff.com for amazing diapers.

    Alternatively, look into Elimination Communication, which does away with diapers altogether if you do it full time.

    As for tv... I didn't watch much until I had a new baby. Every time he fell asleep on my lap I couldn't move, so I just hit netflix for all the series I missed out on during my teenage-hood. Enjoy it. It doesn't last. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement.

    We looked int Elimination Communication, which sounded effective, but also like potty-training for 9 months straight, which I don't think we have the patience for.

    As far as cloth diapers, it's worth another look. I think the biggest advantage to disposable lies in the not-using-them-as-directed-but-as-everyone-else-does, and sending little packages of poop to the landfill. If I really had to get into every dirty diaper, I might as well be using cloth.

    My science teacher neighbor did a decent job of convincing me that today's disposables are quite a bit more degradable than those of 20 years ago.

    Regardless, it probably is more altruistic to use cloth diapers. However, the personal advantage to me to continue to use disposable diapers is pretty high.

    Economically, it's like The Tragedy of the Commons. In cases like that, I'm all for government intervention/regulation to make our planet a better place; but personal altruism with little personal benefit is tough on a scale such as this...

    Okay, this is probably a bigger can of worms than I needed to. To sum up MY diaper rant, you're right, but I'm lazy. Thanks for keeping me honest.

    ReplyDelete