Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 15-- Cousins and Cousins

I'll start things off today with a photo. I don't know when this was taken, but it's a pretty accurate depiction of times at our house.


I've got lots of pictures today. It was a fun day.

My nephew Garrett invited Edgar and I to hang out with him for a Saturday. I'm not sure he knew what he was signing up for, but I jumped on the offer.At 10:30 AM, we knocked on his door in Newberg (about an hour away from Salem). I think we woke him up.

It was a beautiful day. Probably the first nice day we've had since Sabrina was born. We've been cooped up inside too much, so we kind of insisted on doing something outside. Garrett took us to a nearby park where Edgar swung, slid, played, etcetera while Garrett and I caught up on our lives.
Garrett's mom (my sister Laura) called, inviting us to see her grandkids at her house today. After lunch at a local panaderia, Edgar fell asleep in the car on the way to my sister's. Emily (his 4-months-older-than-him cousin) was napping, too, so Edgar and I got a little shuteye in the car, parked outside my sister's house. I've learned from sad experience not to try to move Edgar during a nap-- otherwise, the nap is over and the kid is awake and whiny.


Upon awakening, Edgar played in the backyard with his cousins Little Garrett (6) and Emily (2).



At Laura's suggestion, we went to the park at the Evergreen Air Museum. We didn't go in the museum or do any of the touristy-trap stuff they have, we just played on their awesome playground outside.


Edgar and Emily, January 2011

Edgar and Emily, October 2009


Edgar climbed (on his own volition, without any direction or encouragement from his father) up into this HUGE rocket-shaped play structure. He didn't quite get to the top before getting scared and needing a rescue, but he did make it about 20 feet up:


Hello up there.

(for scale)


The kids piloted the helicopter-shaped play structure, as real helicopters flew overhead.

 working together to fly the chopper.

 
Cap'n Emily being cute



Edgar and his shadow.


After the playground, Edgar, big Garrett, and I retired to Garrett's place where the rest of the evening was spent playing Wii, eating pizza, and playing Magic Cards while half-watching both Madagascar and Madagascar 2.

We rounded things off with some good, old-fashioned jumping on the bed:

Edgar LOVES his uncle Garrett.

Edgar airborne.


That's about it. He was glad to see his mommy and use his potty when he got home, and he hugged Sabrina mercilessly.

For some reason, I feel much more refreshed having been away from the house most of the day. It seems to take hours to do simple things like breakfast when we're here, but when we're outside of our comfort zone, things seem to go faster and easier--  maybe because they have to. Oh well...

1 comment:

  1. You need a bigger house...life is easier with breathing room. :-)

    ReplyDelete