Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 19-- In Shifts

I didn't see much of Jen today.

After blogging last night, I was awake and Sabrina was awake, so I took her for a while. Compared to midnights with Edgar, it was pretty easy. She bounced in her bouncy seat for quite a while, allowing me to catch up on a good book. Even when she got fussy, I could bounce her and switch positions every 30 seconds or so, and she was fine. Got a lot of reading in, but not a lot of sleeping.

After going to bed reeeeeeeally late, then getting up at 6 with Edgar and convincing him that it was definitely not time to wake up, I was in no shape to start the day. Jen and Sabrina were up for an early morning feeding, and Jen very kindly agreed to start the laundry process for me at 7. I woke up at 10, feeling wonderful, as Jen took Edgar and Sabrina to Edgar's playgroup.

When Jen got home, I attempted to juggle a tired, whiny Edgar, clean-the-fridge leftover lunch, a fussy Sabrina, and laundry, and give Jen a break. I kinda failed, but I did manage to get everybody fed and Jen and Sabrina down for a nap eventually.

Edgar and I have an agreement that, when it is naptime, he doesn't necessarily have to sleep, but he has to stay in his crib for the length of one CD. He took me up on that today. I could hear him on the baby monitor singing and playing: once, I heard him, in a singsong voice, say "Brother Carmichael! Alex Carmichael!" (that was weird). Anyways, the CD wound down, and he was still awake. At the end of it, he calmly called "Daddy! Up!"  I tried to renegotiate with him, but ultimately, he took me at my word. His nap was done.

So, Edgar and I played. We played inside. We played outside. We took the pop cans to the store and recycled them. We did laundry together We ate spicy jalapeno chips together. We jumped and wrestled on the couch. Edgar took the clean clothes (mostly pink girly things) and jumbled and jumped on them and turned them into a landing pad.


Edgar banged on the computer keyboard, and somehow managed to pull up google maps, and turn the screen UPSIDE DOWN!

¿ʇɐɥʇ op ǝɥ pıp ʍoɥ ʍoɔ ʎןoɥ

All the while, both Edgar and his father were getting tireder and tireder. When Edgar gets tired, he gets clumsy and whiny. When Alex gets tired, he gets grumpy.

When Edgar doesn't do what he is asked (which is more often than not since baby has arrived), I have started telling him I will count to ten (or five). It's a little bit different with Edgar, though. Here is a typical routine:

A: Edgar, it's time to put your diaper on.

E: Nooooooo! (runs away)

A (most commanding fatherly voice): Edgar, I'm going to count to ten, and then it's time to put your diaper on.

A: ONE!

A: TWO!

E (excitedly) : Three!

A: FOUR!

E (ecstatically) : fivesixseven!!

A: EIGHT!

E (euphorically) : nineTEN!!!!

(Edgar runs, grinning, to get his diaper on)

... I thought that counting was supposed to be a punshiment. This kid just loves to count.


Finally, Jen woke up from her nap. The cavalry had arrived.

Jen again kindly let me take a nap on the bed while she juggled dinner for Edgar and Sabrina.

When I awoke, Edgar was asleep, Sabrina was happy, and it was time for Taco Bell and a few episodes of 24. My wife is the BEST!


Gonzo is legit.


No comments:

Post a Comment