Saturday, May 20, 2023

Day 5: Ain't That a Kick in the Head?

 Although we're still on a 3 hour cycle, where once every 3 hours, I wash bottles, rotate milk stock, and bottle feed Ida, I feel like I'm finally getting some sleep.

We got up this morning and were preparing to go to Betty's soccer game, then all of a sudden I was in the shower and it was time to leave. I somehow lost an hour somewhere. Yikes.

 Betty ran hard some of her soccer game. She also lagged behind the pack a little, too.

 

 

Some leftover pictures from the last few days:

Our tiny space in the NICU triage at the hospital.

Ida got a lot of compliments on this watermelon blanket. Thanks, Auntie Brenda.
 
Ida gets a little lost in her car seat. She's definitely our smallest baby.
 
 
After the soccer game, we stopped by the beauty supply store (red clown hair incoming!), and I also took Sabrina and Betty to PetSmart. Not to buy anything. We're a strictly non-pet family. But there were cute fish and parakeets and hamsters and one cat there.
 
At home, I got some chores done (and got the kids to help), and then had a long good nap.
 

Long naps are good. Good naps are good. Long good naps are very good.

Me and Ida.

Sabrina's been a bit sick, but she gets to help and love on Ida too.

This evening, I got to go see my nephew Garrett fight. I went with Mike Adams (Garrett's old friend), and Glenn (Garrett's brother). Fight was at the Roseland, one of my not-very-favorite places to see shows.. but I did see Sunny Day Real Estate there less than a month ago.

So Garrett has this midlife cris new year's resolution to fight. Particularly to fight in 5 different styles. I'm not sure I could even name 5 styles of fighting (wait-- 1) tickle 2) food 3) knife 4) thumb wrestling, 5) chicken fighting?)

According to Garrett, he has done the following:
☑️ Jiu-Jitsu - 2nd Place, Fuji Oregon Summer Championship
☑️ No Gi - 2nd Place Expert, Fuji Oregon Summer Championship
☑️ Folkstyle Wrestling - 2nd Place, USA Masters Nationals
⬜️ MMA - Rumble at the Roseland 114
⬜️ Beach Wrestling - Oregon State Beach Wrestling Championship
 
So this was Garrett's first time doing Mixed Martial Arts. Now, I don't watch UFC on TV.  I know pretty much nothing about this. I haven't seen a fighting sport since I saw Garrett wrestle in high school. So, Garrett wants to be a cage fighter? Just like Monica's boyfriend!


Pretty good seats. Too bad I'm not attractive..

 This was a pretty fun thing to watch. Maybe not as fun as rodeo, but worth going to occasionally. There were 16 bouts. Many (maybe more than half) of the competitors in the first rounds were first-time MMA fighters (usually wrestlers, kick boxers, jiu jitsu dudes etc).

 Garrett fought in fight number 12 of 16 against this beardo dude with a giant scorpion tattooed across his back. Dude was tough. Glenn showed this image to his kids, and Oliver (about 6) said "Oh boy, that guy with the beard has tattoos. That means he's tough!...Also, are those girls gonna fight?"


Anyway, Garrett walked on to Dragula by Rob Zombie. He made a good showing against the other dude:

Pictured: a good showing.

But not too far into the match, the other guy kicked Garrett in the head and he went DOWN. This may have been the only knockout of the night. Match was over in 53 seconds. Garrett was back up and OK, but that ended the fight.

Pictured: a good sport.

So apparently the Oregon Sports Commission (or some acronym like that) issues you a 2 month suspension for being knocked out. That's a weird approach.
 
Outside, afterwards, Garrett was stopped on the sidewalk by some UFC fans who recognized his shirt (Amercan Top Team) and thought he was somebody famous. I guess he fought at Rumble at the Roseland. That's not nothing.

Anyway, we stood in line forever for Voodoo donuts. (I had a Portland Creme. They were out of Memphis Mafia), hung out a bit, and eventually went home. It felt good to be out doing something with "the guys". I can't remember the last time that happened.

OK. Now, late night, sleeping baby, short rest until next feeding. Goodnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment