Thursday, May 18, 2023

Day 3: Still too much, but we've got great friends

 

Isn't she adorable?
 
After apologizing profusely to Jen for last night's grumpiness, we had a full day of getting kids places. Betty took her sweet time this morning getting ready, so I had to drive her to school half an hour late. I mowed the lawn, which the kids refused to do because we have a box elder beetle infestation in the yard. That's another thing on my list I still haven't gotten to.
Then, I had to get Sabrina from school to an orthodontist appointment. While I was gone, the Schlereths showed up. These are old friends of ours. They (most of the time) have no fixed address and rock-and-roll tour the lower 48 whilst homeschooling their kids and being a traveling (inspirational) party 100% of the time. We were so blessed that they're in town. They brought some food and snuggled baby. I'm sad I didn't get to see them. You should listen to Kevin's music, buy something, and go see a show.  

Had just a few hours to get some more stuff done. At some point, Jen turns to me and says "If I need to be planning and coordinating meals, I just need to know". Oh. I forgot about food. Like forgot about the fact that it exists, and is a regular human need, and therefore something I need to do for my family, especially for my recovering-from-surgery-and-nursing-a-baby wife. I hadn't had lunch. I hadn't even had breakfast. Yikes, I need some sleep.

Luckily, I was able to cradle baby in one arm and whip up some leftovers with the other arm. There were luckily enough leftovers in the fridge to make this an OK prospect.
 
I got some laundry done, a bit of the house organized, and took 3 kids post-school to their things. Edgar and Sabrina go to Dungeons and Dragons at the library every week. At almost the same time, in the next building over, Betty has swim lessons. After getting everyone where they needed to, I tried to read during swim lessons, but just ended up noisily and publicly snoring in a chair in the middle of the rec center.
 
Afterwards, I took the kids as a treat to Winco. They've never been to winco. They've never known the wonder that is bulk foods. They were limited to 1/2 pound (or 1 pound if they kept all their purchases to under $5.00 a pound) .  We all had so much fun picking out a variety of bin candy. It was wonderful. All our haul came to less than $20, and we had enough to get a 50 cent can of pop for everybody on the way out.
 
We had a few friends stop by this evening, bringing gifts and snuggling Ida (as well as receiving a door dash of Panda from uncle adam and auntie candice. Thanks! Love you!), and it was a fun, if stressful evening.

Wait, did I even get to SEE the baby today? Not much, but just a bit. The struggle over the past few days has been to feed baby, but Jen's milk is coming in, so I anticipate that will be a problem no longer.

I agreed to restart my part-time job tomorrow. I'm not ready. Meeting is at 7 AM. yikes.

OK, here's some pictures of the last few days. I've got more in the wings sometime:

Hello.


A proud Auntie Brenda. Love you, sis.


No comments:

Post a Comment