Monday, May 15, 2023

Day 0: Born of Thunder

We arrived to the hospital birth center Friday night, expecting to be induced and deliver overnight. Nope. We live here now. After 72 hours of not-ever-really-labor, Jen opted for a C-section.

That was a very different experience than hippie waterbirths, to be sure. But the end result was the same; not too long afterwards I was cradling a cute new baby girl.

We got to put her for just a minute on Mom's skin, but then mom had to barf. Yuk. Surgery is no fun.
 
It's so bright out here...

6 lb, 1 oz. Our lightest (and least hairy baby)

'sup?

After a whole hour getting Jen sewn up and taken care of, we decamped to a recovery room, then finally back to our birth center room that we've lived in for the past 3 nights. Baby is a snuggly cute thing. Baby is a girl. She's 6 lb, 1 oz, 19.25 inches, and we haven't picked a name out yet. I'll do the big statistics comparison on another day (perhaps tomorrow).
 
We texted and called lots of family and friends (with a lot more still to come. Apologies if you're still waiting on a call)

Edgar and Sabrina have been home alone for DAYS and I'm so proud of them. Betty has been staying at her best friend Brielle's house, and her parents have been SO patient and generous. I hope we can even partially repay them someday.

Just before the surgery, my Dad and I gave Jen a priesthood blessing of healing, which was a cool experience.

We loved and snuggled in our room, and I got to have a lot of time of holding baby. Then, at about midnight, the exhaustedness of the last few days hit me, and I had to crash on the couch for night 4.

Oh, the title? It's been hot. We often get a handful of hot days (in the middle of the rain) in May, but I hear that we broke the record for number of consecutive 90 day days in May. Then, this evening, thunder, lightning, and downpour. I wonder if that's indicative of this kid's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment