Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Day 1: Introducing Ida

 

 
Introducing Ida Bernice Carmichael.
Born May 15, 2023 at 8:08 PM.
6 lbs 1 oz. 19.25 inches.
 
 
 
Yay. Love this little one. Of course, we didn't have a name until about 6 o'clock tonight, but that's par for the course with our littles.
 
Last night was long, with lots of periodic doctor visits and checkups. I was pretty groggy, and I was grilled by the nurse on staff at 2:30 AM on my baby holding and diaper changing skills. It felt high pressure, a bit ridiculous (as this is kid #4), and also like trying to do normal things while swimming in honey because I was so fatigued.
 
I know there were a few feedings and consultations overnight that I didn't even wake up for. Sweet Jen-- I don't know how she's handling this, because I'm already cracking up from lack of sleep, anxiousness, and general weirdness.
 
I did get to have a semi-leisurely morning mostly holding baby with Jen before I had to go pick up the kids. I got Sabrina from school (she got out of her least-favorite class), and Edgar from home where they were supposed to be working on school, but were really playing the new Zelda game.
 
Both kids immediately fell in love with baby girl. We discussed names. Ida gradually became Jen and my clear winner. Ida is not a family name, but it is a rock-and-roll name. 
 
I think Edgar spent a lot more time snuggling baby, but I only got pictures of Edgar on the other camera. We're juggling 3 cameras, so I think some pictures might take a few days to make it to the blog. Here's sweet Sabrina with baby:
 

 

Jen worked today on standing up and recovering post-surgery. I helped her take a shower while Edgar and Sabrina made googly faces at baby.


why yes, I think you DO look more distinguished.
 
Edgar and Sabrina started to get a little punchy after a while, so it was time to take them back.
 
 
I got a precious one hour nap, just enough to make me realize how fatigued I truly am. Then, Betty was home from school. Brought her (alone) to visit Jen. My parents had been there in my absence, and brought flowers and baby clothes (thanks, Mom and Dad!)
 


I think Betty is going to make a fine big sister. She loved looking at baby's little hands, and helped (finally) wash the blood and gunk out of her hair. In the first few moments, we were hoping that baby would be a redhead, but it looks brownish. Very close to Betty's hair color.

So... the name: Ida is a band. They're very mellow. You should check them out.

Bernice is one of Jen's great-grandmothers. Specifically, Jen's mother's mother's mother. We decided all the kids get a family grandparent name. Edgar is my dad/Edgar's grandpa. Sabrina Eldora: Eldora is Jen's mom's dad's mom. Betty is Jen's dad's mom. So now we're representing family. And rock and roll. I like that.

Once we decided on a name, I had to text/post to facebook, so the congratulations started rolling in. Maybe someday I'll be able to get back to all the well-wishers. We certainly do appreciate the love.

Had to get Betty home. I talked Sabrina into baking up a frozen pizza for her siblings while I ran to the grocery store to get prescription/supplies. I have been having bad asthma lately, and we thought the doctor didn't refill our (technically Jen's) asthma meds, and I've been suffering. But we discovered they just sent the prescription to the wrong store, so I feel tons of relief. Going to use the medicine right after I type this.

Had a ball point pen explode in the dryer on some Edgar shirts. The air conditioner isn't working very well. And the car's transmission is hiccuping a little. This is not what we need right now. Well, I'll keep you posted how things turn out.

 I've got lots of plans for tonight and very little time for sleep. The girls are in bed. Edgar is still playing Zelda. I think I'm going to try to hit the store (again) before they close and then spell Jen off for a few hours before I ever get to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment