Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 31-- One Month Old


This beautiful little girl (the one on the left, silly!) is one month old today! Her big brother loves her very much. They even look like siblings.


When we last left our fearless adventurers, Sabrina was sleeping in the car seat, and was expected to wake up any minute, but surprisingly wasn't waking. Her parents finally got smart at 1:45 and went to sleep, fully expecting to be awakened by a hungry and fully awake daughter at any time.

At 7:30, we were awakened to cries. They were Edgar's. We spent a moment of panic wondering why there was no baby in our bed... then we realized that she was still asleep. Next to our bed. In her carseat. Where she had been sleeping since about 9 the previous evening. Wow. Finally, Jen woke her up and fed her.

Edgar and I chilled and watched some He-man. I blogged. We got dressed and went to music class together. It was still weird. I still can't put my finger on it why I felt uncomfortable. We listened to the Wiggles implore us to shake our sillies out. I wondered how they could manage to make a light australian accent sound so completely smarmy...

After music class, we went home to pick up Jen and Sabrina, and the four of us went to Monmouth to visit some of her old professors, etc. While it wasn't a riveting, exciting day, we had fun. Edgar and I ate at Yang's teriyaki, the best (and cheapest) teriyaki in the western hemisphere. Jen was supposed to join us, but she was stuck in the car feeding a hungry Sabrina and changing an epic diaper.

If you just asked, "Wait, Alex... What, exactly, is an epic diaper?", well, here is how they come about.

Sabrina had an epic night's sleep (roughly 10 hours-- approximately 13 times her big brother's typical night's sleep at this age). Following the epic sleep, she had an epic feeding. Following the epic feeding, well... you get the picture.

For a low-key post-lunch activity, we headed to Baskett Slough wildlife refuge. Baskett Slough is about 10 miles from Salem, and one of those places that we've driven past a million times, but never bothered to stop. I'm glad we stopped. While the kids dozed in the back seat, we drove a gravel road through the refuge, and saw ducks, hawks, a bald eagle, and more canada geese than my mind can comprehend. I didn't manage any good pictures, but I've never been much of a wildlife photographer. Since the kids fell asleep, we went home, and did the Jen-and-Sabrina nap inside, and Edgar-and-Alex nap in the car. We've discovered long ago that you can't move Edgar during a nap. If he falls asleep in the car and you try to take him inside, he wakes up cranky and doesn't go back to sleep. So, sleeping in the car.

Edgar and I woke up fairly soon in the car and went inside and had some chill time. Watched some Signing Time and most of Sword in the Stone while I got dishes done and some cleaning up. Jen and Sabrina slept on. Finally, we had run out of milk, and were feeling kind of restive, so Edgar and I went to the store. We got ambitious and went to the record store, too. Edgar brought along his He-man sword. He was very good in the record store, and let me browse through all sorts of records. This was an unusual trip, as I came out empty-handed. I couldn't find what I was looking for, and the dollar bin didn't hold any amazing surprises for me like it usually does. Oh well..

Came home to a well-napped wife, and made dinner for Edgar, and got him trundled into bed. I played a bit of Super Mario Wii, although my heart wasn't in it.

Jen picked up Taco Bell (a favorite) and a Redbox. Knight and Day, starring Tom Cruise and the mom from the Brady Bunch.
[disclaimer: Jen and I love, love stupid action movies. I know I should be all arty and watch only french neu wave and stuff like that, but, seriously? Explosions and hanging off helicopter landing gear.]

Knight and Day looked like an okay movie (other than the fact that Tom Cruise is a creep in real life), except for one little HUGE thing: the title.

Seriously, the title. Sounds like the worst 70's buddy-cop TV show ever.
It reminds me of the sitcom Friends, where Joey gets a job acting in a stupid, stupid cop show called Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E. I mean, come on!

Okay, so we watched the movie. It was pretty fun, escapist, low-grade action with hokey shootouts and lots of fake looking digital effects. Just what you'd expect from a movie with Tom Cruise in it. But, the title? We find out 3/4 of the way through the movie that Tom Cruise's character's real name is "Knight", but it's irrelevant to the plot. ...And "Day"? NOTHING! No significance. Now we have the stupidest title in the world for entirely no reason.

Our movie was quite interrupted with a fussy Sabrina. Much of it was spent with one spouse watching and eating Taco Bell, and one spouse standing and bouncing the baby.

Then, it's off to bed and to fill this blog with words. I was going to go skiing tomorrow, but I think we're going to do something different instead.

------------------------

Here are the promised pictures of the air museum visit.

  

Edgar and his favorite plane.



Sabrina and I relaxing in first class (no coach seats recline like that), and Edgar climbing in the cockpit.

Edgar ready to blast off.

In the kiddie area of the museum was this apparently real personal helicopter. I tried to find out stuff about it on the internet just now, but couldn't find anything. I want one. The brand is Rainbow. It's got a little volkswagen-sized engine behind the seat, minimal joystick and foot controls, and it seats one (maybe one and a baby) comfortably. Looks like the view would be fantastic.






Finally, Grandma and Grandpa with their grandkids:



1 comment:

  1. Henry was a pretty awful sleeper for months and months, so we'd strap him in the carseat to sleep and that sometimes did the trick. I never expected to be the parent driving around at 1 or 2am trying to get the baby to sleep, but I was just that at times.

    ReplyDelete