Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 42-- Musical Ambitions

Yes, this is the long-anticipated forty-two in "Forty-two days" As I mentioned yesterday, because of the way Sabrina's birthday fell on Friday, it'll stretch to 45 days with the 3-day weekend.

Edgar gave me some trouble last night. He woke up about 3 times in the middle of the night, and each time, I would come to his rescue with a bottle and some comfort, he refused my help and stubbornly repeated, "I want Mommy!" over and over and over again.

Mommy came to his rescue the first time. We think he may have a little bit of a cold. After the first time, it wasn't funny. I would sit for 10 or 15 minutes in his room, enduring the I-want-mommy verbal assault over and over again, then I'd leave, set the alarm for 15 or 20 minutes later, and turn off the baby monitor. In the intervening 15 or 20 minutes, he'd cry himself to sleep, but that's tough on parents and kids.

Well, tonight, he'll be forced to break out of his mommy-preference. Mommy is taking a girls weekend with Becky upstairs and friends. So, it's just Daddy and Edgar in the house tonight.

The terribly interrupted sleep, combined with some pretty bad cat-allergy-triggered asthma left me groggy and knocked out all day. On a day where I should've been cleaning up from our Kalaloch trip, helping my wife pack for her girls' weekend, I found myself doing just the bare minimum that was needed to maintain life and parental function. Edgar watched a lot of TV today.  Jen picked up the slack. As edgar says, "Mommy supergirl!"

Edgar also had a very musical day. This is him playing organ after first waking up:

No, I don't understand the name of his song.

Later, he tried recorder. As you can see, he doesn't quite get the concept yet. He plays it like a kazoo, singing into the recorder, and getting it to whistle along with his breath.



Still later, he asked me to work on a duet with him. He handed me our (in need of tuning and repair) melodica, and played his trusty recorder.

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on Flute!"


Jen and Sabrina got out the door this afternoon. Edgar and I spent the evening snuggled on the couch watching Signing Time and He-man. It was a pretty low-key day.

With Jen gone, and my car still (!) in the shop, I don't know what's in store for tomorrow. I've got some awesome ideas, but all we have is a bicycle and lots of ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment