Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 29-- Air Museum

Last night was another tough night with the baby. She was awake, hungry, and a bit fussy (watching Red Sonja with us) until about 1 AM, when Jen let me know that the baby was mine and she was now going to sleep.

I tried to watch some Beavis and Butthead with the baby, to give her some high art and culture.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought...

It wasn't the crudity of the jokes, although I'm not 14 anymore, I can still laugh at a good butt joke when called upon. I think it was the pacing: The originally 15-minute episodes were presented blitzkrieg-fashion, without commercials, and more importantly, without the music video interludes, resulting in bizarre 4-minute stories. Originally, Beavis and Butthead was a show on MTV, which at the time, still mostly showed music videos. Beavis and Butthead would spend half of their 2-episodes-to-30-minutes lampooning music videos of the day, to great effect. Those segments were generally funnier than the episodes, and made me laugh so hard that anything those guys did afterwards was comedy gold.

Since the netflix version is without video segments, here are one or two good replacements. (and yes, I spent about a half hour this evening watching youtube) that are more fun than watching episodes of B and B.

Sabrina ended up crying at me for a good several hours while I unsuccessfully tried to calm her down, play video games, and read a book. Eventually, she would only fall asleep on my chest (not on her back), so I slept for a while in the recliner with her on top of me.

I was completely oblivious to Edgar waking up, or Jen getting him, or him coming into our room and yelling "WAKE UP DADDY".

Finally, we got up and got out about 10:30, grabbed an early brunch on our way out of town, and hit the air museum in McMinnville. This time, we paid the money and went inside (a first for me). It was impressive. Lots of airplanes. One especially big airplane. I'm not the world's greatest airplane buff, but I'm into fascinating history, so it kept my interest. It kept Edgar's interest for a while, too, and Sabrina dozed in the baby bjorn.

I was impressed with the museum. There are some cool planes there. I was a bit disappointed that with $20 apiece museum entry, they still want to charge you for extra stuff (like seeing the inside of one of the planes). Had a good time, though. Edgar was tired ,and Sabrina was hungry, so we visited my sister Laura in McMinnville. She cooed and cuddled with the baby, Ed played with her toys, Jen fed the baby, and I tuned up Laura's skis.

We started with grand plans of returning to the museum and getting our $20 worth, but we eventually packed a past-tired Edgar in the car, and headed home. Edgar and I slept in the car, and Jen left it running (with the heat on way too high) and Jen and Sabrina went inside to nap.

After naps, dinner and playing swords with Edgar ("Hold sword up. Say 'Power of Grayskull. Kssssh,' Daddy"), Sabrina was napping, Edgar was happy, so we had the first Kalaloch practice in a very very long time. Now, of all the things I love in this world (and there are many), creating music with the love of my life has to be my favorite(right up there with doing rad things with my kids). It's tough for Jen to play (or think about music) when she's dealing with babies, and it's been tough to do real (electric) Kalaloch practice for a very long time because Edgar has been fascinated with unplugging our equipment, and playing the instrument we are currently playing.

For the most part, it went really well. Sabrina stayed asleep. We gave Edgar an acoustic guitar which he wasn't too interested in. He tried to mess with unplugging and changing our pedals, but backed off when we asked him nicely. We played through several songs, including a new jam (which probably won't be revisited). I did one of our new songs where I switch between guitar and organ. At that point, Edgar really wanted to play the organ. We let him, but it was frustrated that he couldn't hear it over our playing. He also has to stand on my guitar pedals to play the organ, so it generated some really interesting sounds. Eventually, he was more interested in playing with pedals than playing an instrument (he's my boy, after all), so at that point, things broke down. All in all, it was wonderful to play again.

Chilled with an episode of Jackie Chan Adventures, read scriptures and then it was bedtime for Edgar. Jen and I switch off bedtime routine for Edgar, but it always involves singing him lullabies. Jen favors kid songs, and I favor pop songs. It's a good thing he's got parents who like to sing. As I was closing his door, he very sweetly asked me "More crow and eagle." The Crow and The Eagle is a Kalaloch song we've had for a while but never recorded. It's turned into one of Edgar's favorite lullabies (although it's not much of a lullaby). I can't describe how cool it is to have something you wrote be an important thing in someone else's life. Jen knows. She has a lullaby for Edgar, too.

After Edgar went to sleep, I did some youtube beavis and butthead and blogging, and some playing Super Mario Wii (searching for all the star coins so we can play the bonus levels!)

I have pictures from today, but Jen insists the camera's in the car, and I didn't see it at first glance, so I'll share them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment